Animal Welfare Groups Say Australian Dogs Are Being 'sold Into Mis

SwaY

Figures from the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service show 5400 dog-export permits were granted last year, up from 4800 in 2009.

At a guess Id say it will come down now our dollar is up and I havent done the figures but surely Australia wide just in what we export to other countries for breeding and or pets travelling to crufts etc and the ones that travel with their owners legitmately it has to be half that figure - then there is what McDougall Hawaii takes - last time I looked about 2000 a year.

If these figures are true Id be interested in them comparing figures about 15 years ago when our dollar was down and figures quoted were much higher.

Puppies cant get out of Australia unless they are chipped and vet checked by a certified aqis vet and there are very hard regs and laws in place to fly live animals on any airline leaving this country.How big the crate is, how many animals per crate, etc etc are all regulated - its not like they travel like cattle or sheep.

I object to animals being sold including in litter lots to any pet shop whether it be here or in Hawaii but when you start getting into telling me that they are shipped too young or in poor conditions, un chipped or not vet checked I dont see how our systems allow that to happen.

Steve, can you please show me where to find these figures. Thanks. :)

They were in the first post

If anyone has ever lived in an Asian country, as I have, you would not send a puppy to that country, period.

Totally agree. Well before puppy-farm culture exploded, '60s-70s-80s, Australian reg. purebred breeders were sending mega numbers of dogs/pups, it didn't just start with the cross-bred farmers. I did long-term postings in Sri Lanka, Thailand, Fiji, shorter terms India, Singapore, Hong Kong, travelled others, saw stuff that still haunts me. And don't say some go to loving homes: oh sure - until just like here circumstances change, people become unemployed, ill, whatever. Dog then takes its chance, neighbours/relatives don't care, no rescue organisations big enough to start to cope. If someone wants a dog, plenty already there to rescue, no need to import a status symbol.

Same as Australians going there to live/work. Take dog, easy. Bring home years later not so easy. Leave with friend, outcome predicable.

Figures from the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service show 5400 dog-export permits were granted last year, up from 4800 in 2009.

At a guess Id say it will come down now our dollar is up and I havent done the figures but surely Australia wide just in what we export to other countries for breeding and or pets travelling to crufts etc and the ones that travel with their owners legitmately it has to be half that figure - then there is what McDougall Hawaii takes - last time I looked about 2000 a year.

If these figures are true Id be interested in them comparing figures about 15 years ago when our dollar was down and figures quoted were much higher.

Puppies cant get out of Australia unless they are chipped and vet checked by a certified aqis vet and there are very hard regs and laws in place to fly live animals on any airline leaving this country.How big the crate is, how many animals per crate, etc etc are all regulated - its not like they travel like cattle or sheep.

I object to animals being sold including in litter lots to any pet shop whether it be here or in Hawaii but when you start getting into telling me that they are shipped too young or in poor conditions, un chipped or not vet checked I dont see how our systems allow that to happen.

Steve, can you please show me where to find these figures. Thanks. :)

They were in the first post

Thanks Steve. That will teach me to read it thoroughly. :laugh:

I wonder if those figures on export permits are correct. Might give customs and aqis a call myself and ask.

Years ago, a whole shipment was often listed on one permit, as in, the one permit serial number would cover a large shipment of say 30-40 pups, all going on the one airway bill. It may be done differently now, not too sure.

Edited by sumosmum