Wandering Which Small Breed

Perhaps a small rescue might suit. We have a 4kg Pap x and he is a dear little dog who is developing lovely manners (did take lots of work to get where we are though as he didn't have many when he arrived) that loves every one (people, other dogs, cats) and is bright as a button. He has a long coat but it is easy care. He is agile and clever and plays at full speed with our grey. He is bossy whilst playing but she ignores him so it works well. He is not overly vocal but will warn us of intruders and is smart enough to know the difference between wandering cats and our own (indoor and cattery only) - he with the help of his large friend will quickly tell wanderers to leave the premise. He does the telling Katie, who has no prey drive, just stands behind him and the wandering cat leaves quickly.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i havent read all the way to the end... but i say toy poodle seems to be the way to go i like lagottos but they are far from small really...

cavies are prone to ear issues which can be smelly at times and shed like crazy so they are out... poodles cost are a single coat so dont really get smelly and most dirt if u let it dry will brush out if ur happy to pay a groomer every 6 weeks then go a toy i love them! they are only too girly if u treat them like a hanbag otherwise they have alot of go in them and are real lovely doggies!! and as mentioned he may leave puppy will stay ;) and after all its ur freaking dog tell him to shove it hahahahahaha

I don't treat Rascal like a human eg don't carry him around,pick him up when I see other dogs, I only pick him up if the other dog doesn't look friendly which I can tell by the way they act with Shelley. I do baby my dogs eg spoil them with love,toys,food and vet care but I do treat them as dogs. I make sure there well trained well know at least sit sit/stay and come, I do get Shelley to sit/wait put her food bowl down return to her she then has to give me eye contact then I tell her ok. With Rascal I got him to sit then let him eat. I basicly do the nothing in life is free with them. Shelley plays with Rascal sometimes eg she loves it when Rascal chases her.

Would a toy poodle be able to handle exercise? Rascal my chihuahua can easily walk for 3 hours on days that I like to walk more. Also how are toy poodles like with recall? Rascal has pretty good recall, Shelley has great recall.

I have a Cav and he is certainly not a mad shedder apologies if Ive posted this earlier..nana brain..lol I get the ocasional little bit of black fluff..nothing seroius at all. A regular good brush does the trick. Star is an indoor dog in a small unit with a little garden and he is very easy to manage. He has lived with several large breeds including Wolfhounds Danes Pointers and Pit Bull crosses all except the Danes and Staffies were active hunting dogs and they all got on like a house on fire. Hes super friendly with all people and other dogs ..a delight to own ..outgoing and fearless...Of all the toy breeds Ive met so far hes the best..wish id had Cavs a lot sooner.

I've seen toy poodles doing agility - so they must have good recall - it's mostly up to you to train it. They do like food. And the houdini dog toy poodle would run all day touring the neighbourhood if he got the opportunity.

Again - how much running they can handle - once they've done growing is up to you.

http://www.caninebodyworks.com/et.htm