Peeing On Beds

cowanbree

I had a phone call tonight about one of my shelties who is in a pet home. He has been there 3yrs now and is 7 years old, always been a very clean dog and not one to mark inside but for no apparent reason he has started peeing in the middle of the bed in the spare room. He has a dog door so it isn't that he can't hold on and they assure me nothing has changed.

I have suggested they keep the door shut but long term that isn't going to work. I have suggested a vet check if it happens again but they seem to think he is happy and healthy. He is quite a submissive dog so I really can't imagine it being a dominance thing but I am open to ideas. Any suggestions?

Urinary infection? It's the first thing I'd be checking, bladder stones, kidney stones, kidney infection and so on. If it's a major change in habits then something has changed to cause it. A little too young for dementia but I did have a 7 yr old dog develop a brain tumour and he leaked urine and didn't even know at the time.

I have considered health issues and they have agreed if it happens again they will take him to the vet but considering he always has access to outside and doesn't soil anywhere else in the house I don't see how health issues could cause him to specifically soil on the bed. Anyone else had this?

Do the neighbours have a new dog or is there a dog hanging around. I have one that pees on the bathroom floor if he is stressed or worried about new dogs being about. He can go a couple of years without doing it but then all of a sudden it will happen several times in a few weeks. If we shut the bathroom door he doesn't go anywhere else.

This is going to sound like an odd question, but did any of the recent users of the guest bed have a bladder problem (Nanna, great Aunt Betsie etc?) My boy would not pee anywhere inappropriate, unless someone else had left their scent first, e.g. mum's badly behaved dog. Is it otherwise related to a recent guest, maybe the dog felt it's territory threatened and marked the bed?

i have a coupl eof littl eones who will go inside my house if i dont let them out the front to toilet, they don tlike the backyard with the other dogs for some reason, so to be sure they wont go in the house i have to let them out the front, so maybe that is all he needs a new toilet area.