Registered Dog Breeder

kazwa

There are only 4 and half thousand ANKC registered breeders Australia wide - there are a hell of a lot of other breeders registered with all manner of registries.

It will only get worse too any time from now with the RSPCA pushing so hard to have breeders licenced.

If the schnaauzer is pedigreed but not registered she isnt breaking any rules.

They state they are a registered breeder with Dogs NSW and the schnauzer mother is pedigreed.

Yep but they dont say it is an ANKC registered pedigree.

Dogs NSW only have a say over what their breeders can do with the dogs that are registered on their pedigree database and system.

Pedigree doesnt equal ANKC registered pedigree.

i always thought it meant a breeder who attends and shows their dogs. pedigree dogs.

ive never thought of anyone having a council tag being a pedigree breeder :confused:

There are numerous working breed registries, there are numerous breed registries of breeds in development ,the MDBA has a registry, the AAPDB has a registry and many councils register their breeders.

So, this can be an avenue for abuse in a way that a seller of pups can take on an air of respectability by using wording not everyone really knows the connotations of ?

i.e. helps sell their pups no matter where and how they have been bred.

Yes. First person who drew this to my attention was a canine association registered breeder. She told me it was not uncommon for members of the public to confuse registration of dogs with a (local government) council for 'registration' as a breeder. Or to be deliberately confused by someone.

At that time, Dogs Qld was called the Qld Canine Council. So even the use of the word 'council' helped that confusion along.

That breeder also said there was confusion (sometimes deliberate) with the use of the word 'papers'. Which is used to describe a dog that has pedigree papers from a registry. But she said that people were sometimes shown all sorts of things as 'papers' when being sold a puppy. For example, hand-written or typed names of parent dogs (or more) on a piece of paper.

• 3 weeks later...