My Australian Terriers Are Plump

How did Mr Tiddles go with his operation?

Mr Tiddles has the cruciate and patella done on his right back leg on Monday. Took him 3 days and he is now using the leg again, admittedly he takes a few steps then just lifts it and hops around. He is going very well, sometimes dogs don't use the operated leg for a fortnight or more but for him, he takes about 2-3 days then puts a bit of weight on it.

Thank you for the info on grooming, I am going to give it a go on Mr Tiddles when he is a bit stronger. Bobby will be an easy groom now as he has very little fur at all. :) The one problem with the grooming is that it has made his weight problem quite noticeable. :D

sometimes dogs don't use the operated leg for a fortnight or more but for him, he takes about 2-3 days then puts a bit of weight on it.

Just curious, what did the vet say as to his post- op care?

I was under the impression that dogs who have had knee surgery should be confined/crated and NOT use the leg. It takes weeks for knee joints to recover...

sometimes dogs don't use the operated leg for a fortnight or more but for him, he takes about 2-3 days then puts a bit of weight on it.

Just curious, what did the vet say as to his post- op care?

I was under the impression that dogs who have had knee surgery should be confined/crated and NOT use the leg. It takes weeks for knee joints to recover...

The vet said that he should be confined to a room for about 10 to 14 days, and should not do any running.

He doesn't do any running but was being driven crazy in the room and was walking around anyway, so I thought that he might as well be happy and limp around the house.

so I thought that he might as well be happy and limp around the house.

Confining him to a crate/room not only allows the bad leg to rest & heal..it also prevents too much load being put on the OTHER knee ..and risking that one being injured as well. ..esp as he has extra weight on him.

so I thought that he might as well be happy and limp around the house.

Confining him to a crate/room not only allows the bad leg to rest & heal..it also prevents too much load being put on the OTHER knee ..and risking that one being injured as well. ..esp as he has extra weight on him.

True but he is walking around the room anyway. Very difficult to keep him still as he is an active gentleman. I am keeping him very quiet, when I take him into the backyard, I make sure the other dog is not with him, so he doesn't get excited.

Thank you for the info on grooming, I am going to give it a go on Mr Tiddles when he is a bit stronger. Bobby will be an easy groom now as he has very little fur at all. :) The one problem with the grooming is that it has made his weight problem quite noticeable. :D

His weight loss will be dramatic this week with all his coat gone, hope they left his ruff and topknot at least, if you get him clipped again ask them to do a #5 skip blade on his "saddle" and back of neck only, they should just scissor trim around feet, hocks, ears, tail and bum. Leave his furnishings, if need be just trim under tummy with thinning scissors. For yourself,invest in a double ended comb or shedding comb, they will get through the coat to get any knots and dead coat out, just finish with the brush. Also, if you don't have already, buy shampoo for wiry coats eg Biogroom Wiry Coat.

Happy to teach you sometime, maybe organise to meet up at shows at Bulla.

Edited by Austerra

Once Mr Tiddles is back to full health (another 2 weeks, perhaps a bit more), I will get him groomed and follow your suggestions, which do sound better than what was done.

Next time you see my boys at Bulla, you will be impressed by their slenderness (I hope!). :)

Once Mr Tiddles is back to full health (another 2 weeks, perhaps a bit more), I will get him groomed and follow your suggestions, which do sound better than what was done.

Next time you see my boys at Bulla, you will be impressed by their slenderness (I hope!). :)

I haven't entered any shows at Bulla for a while but there is one on Sept 4th that I would be happy to come and do a groom for you, if you want to meet up there.

How are the boys doing with their weight loss?

I haven't entered any shows at Bulla for a while but there is one on Sept 4th that I would be happy to come and do a groom for you, if you want to meet up there.

That would be great if you could do a groom but Mr Tiddles does have a lot of fur. Maybe I could just watch you brush one of your dogs?

The weight loss is going slowly. Bobby has dropped 600 grams which is good, he is down to 14.2kgs and I am weighing him again this morning but the exercise has been less for the last few days as I hurt my back so I am walking very gingerly. :(

That would be great if you could do a groom but Mr Tiddles does have a lot of fur. Maybe I could just watch you brush one of your dogs?

The weight loss is going slowly. Bobby has dropped 600 grams which is good, he is down to 14.2kgs and I am weighing him again this morning but the exercise has been less for the last few days as I hurt my back so I am walking very gingerly. :(

As we show regularly our dogs are groomed and stripped out continually so not much for you to watch on ours, you would be surprised how quickly a coat can be stripped out if the coat is blown (dead) and at least can show you the principals of how to do them.

Keep up the good work with the weight loss, if you can't do much walking will they chase a ball in the yard?

Neither will chase balls (my fault, never taught them to chase) although Mr T spends a lot of time in the kitchen watching for the mouse that lives behind the fridge to come out then he makes a mad limp towards it. :laugh:

Haha maybe get them a toy rat to chase, what about a game of tug-of-war, just need to keep them moving, as with people small amounts often and build it up.

If you want to meet up at Bulla let me know and I will bring along sample of what I would feed my two for the day and see how yours compare with their diet.

Neither will chase balls (my fault, never taught them to chase) although Mr T spends a lot of time in the kitchen watching for the mouse that lives behind the fridge to come out then he makes a mad limp towards it. :laugh:

Haha maybe get them a toy rat to chase, what about a game of tug-of-war, just need to keep them moving, as with people small amounts often and build it up.

If you want to meet up at Bulla let me know and I will bring along sample of what I would feed my two for the day and see how yours compare with their diet.

That would be great if I could check what you feed your dogs.

I went to my local Best Friends warehouse today looking for kibble and couldn't decide on what was best. Decided upon what I had been told was the best kibble Purina Supercoat Lite and Mature. Hopefully they like it. :(

Just wondering about Ecopet.

I have bought a 2.5kg roll and the boys love it but I was wondering about the meat itself.

When I cut a slice, it is red/pink mostly but on the perimeter of the slice, it is grey. Almost like it is off. The whole outside of the roll is grey.

I know that there are no preservatives in the roll so is this colour normal?

Just wondering about Ecopet.

I have bought a 2.5kg roll and the boys love it but I was wondering about the meat itself.

When I cut a slice, it is red/pink mostly but on the perimeter of the slice, it is grey. Almost like it is off. The whole outside of the roll is grey.

I know that there are no preservatives in the roll so is this colour normal?

Hi, yes the Ecopet is fine, it will have a "best before" date on it, if it is off the wrapper will be swelling and the loaf will stink to high heavens, I quite often take home the out of date ones that the customers are funny about buying and the dogs aren't adversely affected and don't worry at all about devouring it, remember dogs often like things that are foul to us :vomit:

There are dry foods on the market that are heaps better than Supercoat, nutrition wise, but really the best food is the one that works best for your dog. Look at the ingredients and make sure meat is first mentioned especially as you are trying to get weight off your dogs, need to keep the carbs and fats on the lower side.

May be worth cutting out the dry food for a while and just feed Ecopet, see if that helps with their weight, how are they going by the way?