Dry Food Feeding Amount Guide?

BenT

Hi all

I have just got my first lab pup and have been feeding him as per the breeders instructions but am wanting to switch him over to just dry.

THe problem I am having is that the guide on the back is so varied. The current age/weight guide state 185-340g per day!! how do I know which end of the scale I use? I assume it is as easy as "pick an amount and see how he goes after a few weeks" but hopefully there is something more.

Thanks

Hi all

I have just got my first lab pup and have been feeding him as per the breeders instructions but am wanting to switch him over to just dry.

THe problem I am having is that the guide on the back is so varied. The current age/weight guide state 185-340g per day!! how do I know which end of the scale I use? I assume it is as easy as "pick an amount and see how he goes after a few weeks" but hopefully there is something more.

Thanks

Hi BenT

I usually start at the bottom end of the scale and play around with it. Usually with dry food, you can tell really quickly (I wish you could tell as quick with humans :laugh: ) and then go from there. Adding more or less as the dog needs. Stand over the dogs back and look at them, if their a bit to ribby, add more and if their a bit on the plump size add less. The other thing to take into account, is if you still have a puppy he needs 2/3 meals a day. So what the bag tells you, you need to spread it out to 2/3 meals (eg.185 / 3 = roughly 61g per feed). If your really struggling with this ask your vet for help. Please make sure it's a decent quality feed though. :thumbsup:

I usually find the "feeding guide" is usually way too much - so definately start at the lowest end and don't forget to cut it down a bit if you are feeding extras such as training treats.

Hi all

Thanks

Did the breeders siet consist of raw and dry?

thanks for the replies so far.

For further info, the breeders diet was 1 table spoon chicken mince, 3 table spoons dry food (softened), 1/2 wheatbix and splash of skim milk 3 meals per day. I am switching over from breeders dry (Bonnie puppy) to Nutro large breed puppy.

Sounds like a good plan BenT. Weetbix and milk is a bit of a strange diet and the dry food doesn't need to be moistened (unless its rehydrateable kibble).

My 8 week old lab was on 3/4 cup dry in the am, 1/2 cup at lunch and then 1/2 at dinner.