Not A Breed For First Timers

I grew up with Dobermann's but my first dog was a SBT x Corgi. We lived on property and a lady that used to keep her horse on the neighbours property found a young dog one day on her way out to feed her horse. He was just sitting under a tree on the side of the road in the morning and was still there that afternoon so she put him in the car and told me about it over the fence and I went and got him from the car and he was so scared and obviously quite young (we think about 5-6 months old) and I begged mum and dad to be allowed to keep him and to my surprise they allowed me to. I did have to promise that when I left home I would take him with me (I was 17 at the time) and that I would be his primary carer.

I'm not sure what, if anything, happened to him in his life prior to us but he hated children and would even be aggressive towards me and my mum (and we were his favourite people) if we tried to make him do something he didn't want to. He was a very difficult dog and eventually, I had him PTS at the age of 6 as I had toddlers by then and he was getting very aggro with my other dogs, in particular my male Bull Terrier (who wouldn't start a fight but he sure would finish it). The last straw was when he attacked Khan (BT) and when we separated them I held Khan while my ex walked Harley back to the house (about 30 metres away) and when he let go to open the door Harley bolted back and latched straight back on to Khan's face despite being no match for a BT in a fight. It was a heartbreaking decision and despite the problems he had I still loved that dog and miss him to this day.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic