Rspca Adoptions

Swizzlestick

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I only found it yesterday whilst scrolling the RSPCA animals in need of homes.

Unsure about other states, but RSPCA Vic are not charging any adoption fee at all for senior (7+ years) dogs and cats.

Doesn't seem to be very well publicised.

So, if you'd like to give an oldie a home, you have until the end of August to do it at no cost :)

Link Here

it had an article in the herald sun and the age on it about a month ago when it started...

i think it is a fantastic idea, really puts the oldies in the forefront of ppl's minds when they go to pick out a pet. it seems to have also brought in people going for an older animal and finding a different animal that suits - so more foot traffic in general.

its a great idea. We adopted an older cat well before they had this when my OH and I first moved in together, we were planning on a kitten, but they only had one 9 year old cat, and we didn't have the heart to leave her there. She has turned out to be the best cat ever. Oldies nearly always get overlooked but they often make the best pets, I hope that more of the older pets get adopted because of this, they really do make wonderful additions to the family. :thumbsup:

Sad that 7 years old is considered "old" by some members of the community.

This is a good move by the RSPCA.I am sure once a person adopts an "old" dog, you appreciate the special joy they bring.

Have adopted oldies myself and would do it again when I decide to add to my menagerie.

I adopted my 8 years young from RSPCA last year and would highly recommend it for those who're looking for a pet. Lots of advantages of getting an oldie - cheaper adoption fee (or free), known traits, etc. Oldies are trainable so don't believe the 'cant learn new tricks' myth. Much less work & randomness than raising a puppy (not against it, just acknowledging the time/ effort required). If you're time poor, consider a senior :)

Our local RSPCA are offering to microchip and desex your own pet cat or kitten for $15 :) Our little kitten is booked in at the end of the month! But this isn't very well advertised either lol!!

Last Oct/Nov the Ballarat RSPCA handed out vouchers for free microchipping and desexing, available to anyone who asked.

I've heard they'll be doing the same this year too. :)

Last Oct/Nov the Ballarat RSPCA handed out vouchers for free microchipping and desexing, available to anyone who asked.

I've heard they'll be doing the same this year too

Yeah that's what it is, you get a voucher which you take with you to the vet and they desex for free with it. It's valid for a month I think! So lovely of them, I'd imagine it would really prevent a lot of cat pregnancies too, which is a plus!!