Luxating Patella

judy69

That's good news Judy :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hope he improves for you quickly. he sounds like a such an adorable little fellow :laugh:

Thanks. He sure is an adorable little boy. He keeps me company and is a lot of fun to have around. I would be lost without him.

post-36989-0-44382900-1312888855_thumb.jpg

This pic was taken a few months after I got him. He's a real little poser.

It seems my Chihuahua puppy, Heidi also has patella luxation - every now an then she 'skips' and she is only 3 months old. :cry:

I am really worried about her, my staffy has only just recovered from her ACL surgery (her leg will never be the same) and now I have to worry about Heidi as well. :(

I have been reading about patella luxation literally all day and it seems there are mixed opinions - some people are saying surgery is needed above grade 1, and some people say conservative management is the way to go as long as the dog is not in pain. I am very confused - hoping she will improve as she gets more muscle, but realising there is little chance of that.

I have had her on a raw diet singe I got her when she was 8 weeks old, she also has a fish oil capsule every day and some glucosamine - I am really hoping this will help.

Good luck Judy, it looks like I will be with you on your journey unfortunately. I hope your boy goes ok, lucky it is only grade 1 at this stage.

ETA: does anyone know if I should take Heidi swimming to increase muscle mass or is she too young?

Edit - spelling

Edited by arielle

Oh judy he's adorable. How old was he in that photo? :love::love:

Dobby's ears have both flopped forward, will they stand up right some day?

He is almost 5 months in that photo. That's how I found him sitting in his bed. Couldn't miss that photo opportunity.

It seems my Chihuahua puppy, Heidi also has patella luxation - every now an then she 'skips' and she is only 3 months old. :cry:

I am really worried about her, my staffy has only just recovered from her ACL surgery (her leg will never be the same) and now I have to worry about Heidi as well. :(

I have been reading about patella luxation literally all day and it seems there are mixed opinions - some people are saying surgery is needed above grade 1, and some people say conservative management is the way to go as long as the dog is not in pain. I am very confused - hoping she will improve as she gets more muscle, but realising there is little chance of that.

I have had her on a raw diet singe I got her when she was 8 weeks old, she also has a fish oil capsule every day and some glucosamine - I am really hoping this will help.

Good luck Judy, it looks like I will be with you on your journey unfortunately. I hope your boy goes ok, lucky it is only grade 1 at this stage.

ETA: does anyone know if I should take Heidi swimming to increase muscle mass or is she too young?

Edit - spelling

Thanks arielle. I know what you mean about the mixed opinons. It gets a bit cinfusing when you start reading all the different thinks on the net.

I hope your little one is going to be ok as well. I hope the glucosamine helps and prevent him from getting arthristis. Can only try. Will keeping a close eye on things thats for sure.

All the best with Heidi. :)