What Age Can I Give Puppy More Freedom?

drifter

I have a Labrador pup who is now nearly 5 months old. She currently has her crate plus a 3m x 1.5m run that we put her in if we have to go out, which she is very happy in. I'm just wondering at what age it's ok to let her just stay in the yard, with her crate on the back deck to go in and out of as she likes? We are on an acre which is fully fenced. If it's not for a while yet should we extend the run to give her some more space as she grows?

Depends on the dog and the environment you're putting them in. How much supervision does the puppy need now? If you leave pup in the yard while you are inside watching from a window, what does the puppy do? Do you have to go out and rescue it from anything (or anything from it)?

Thanks for all your replies. We built the run after reading a book on raising puppies before I got her (it's been 15 years since my last pup). It said that allowing a young pup too much freedom initially can be quite frightening for them as well as giving them the opportunity to get up to mischief :D I don't recall it saying at what age this is no longer an issue though. The yard is quite secure but maybe we'll just extend the run for now until she's a little older. Just didn't want to be an over-protective 'helicopter' parent :laugh: