Neurogenic Dry Eye And Parotid Duct Transpostion

Shmurps

Maggie has neurogenic dry eye and so far has not responded to treatment. We have 4 more days to go before we give the vet a call for an update.

During the consult surgery was discussed and a proceedure called Parotid duct transpostion was to be considered when all medical therapies have failed. I also asked about eye removal. Has anyone had the PTD surgery done on their dog?

Maggie has neurogenic dry eye and so far has not responded to treatment. We have 4 more days to go before we give the vet a call for an update.

During the consult surgery was discussed and a proceedure called Parotid duct transpostion was to be considered when all medical therapies have failed. I also asked about eye removal. Has anyone had the PTD surgery done on their dog?

I have seen many successful PDTs performed over the years. Prior the common use of drugs such as cyclosporin and tacrolimus, PDTs were quite common. Neurogenic dry eye will, of course, not respond as well to these drugs (I assume you have tried oral pilocarpine?) and PDT would be a great option to consider.

The stats commonly given by ophthalmologists I have worked with are 80% success rate, with 10% still not producing enough tears, and 10% producing too many tears, post-surgery.

Long term, one of the biggest issues is weight gain, as you need to feed your dog very regularly. Obviously if you feed the same TOTAL amount for the day, but just in 5-6 separate meals, you will be fine.

Mineral build-up on the cornea from the "tears" (saliva) can also occur, but can be reduced with drops.

Best of luck with you dog.

Thank you for you reply. Yes we have been doing the above treatment. Some days we think the treatment is working but then I don't think it is really.

Due to ring vet for update tomorrow. Pretty sure we will have to make the decision within the next week or so.