How To Teach Calm?

Hey Guys,

I'am wanting to teach my boy a calm command, no idea how to start with this though. I want to teach him calm as his a typical hyper golden retriever who my partner loves to rough house with, this is all well and good for them to bond however he sometimes gets a little carried away when my daughter plays with him and I thought if I could teach him to calm when playing or calm when I'm attempting to just quietly sit with him this would be beneficial for us.

I just have no idea where to start with teaching it.

Thanks in advance

I have bonded with my dogs ..and we do not roughhouse. Bonding can be done by calm leadership,grooming,training , playing games such as 'fetch' or scenting games.

You may need to teach your partner , before you can try the pup. ;)

What is the dog's general daily routine? how much exercise/training does he get?

You may also want to have read of these two articles :)

LINK

LINK

I've had to teach this to my coolie Latte as she is a wild girl.

I won't acknowledge her until she is sitting and she now knows this. When she is sitting quietly I pat her calmly, if she bounces up again I ignore her. I do say calm to her as well in a soft drawn out voice. I find quietly stroking her face gets her focused on me and makes her sit there calmly and I talk to her in a very soft loving voice.

She is gradually getting there, in fact doing very well for a boisterous young lady. Much easier to live with too than when I just let her bounce everywhere.

He Sleeps in the bathroom with a baby gate that locks him in every night. He is let let out of here at 5:30-6am in the morning by my husband who feeds and toilets him in the morning and puts him back in until I get up. His then taken back out about 7am and taken for a 30+ minute walk with me. Generally once I leave for work his put back outside and 3 times a week a walker comes and walks him for an hour for me. His let back in at 3pm by my husband and they spend time playing fetch and walking our daughter to the park.

He will sit calmly without needing to be told to come out of bathroom or in from outside. When I come home he will sit quietly at our hallway gate and wait for me to come through and pat him, then tear down the hallway like a mental case to tell everyone Im home. However when we have visitors he is so bad at runny past them very fast, jumping and rubbing himself on peoples legs and generally not calming down. This wasnt helped by literally all my friends being pregnant when he was 4 months so I couldn't have him near them when they visited. I now cant have him in as they have very young children or babies. This also means my daughter and niece cant run around like kids with him inside as he gets way to carried away and will end up hurting one when he plows into them running around. If its just him and my daughter at home he will just (mostly) calmly follow her around or lay down and watch her. This is mainly when I need to have something that I can do other then separate or have him on a lead when people come over.