Thinking Of Getting A Dog....

Bluefairy

Thank you so much for all your opinions, its great to know I'm not the only one not really jumping for joy at going through the puppy stage again.

I have 2 cats at home, I inquired about a 2yr old dog, which was gorgeous and I would have loved to have, but she does NOT like cats. One of my cats I have had with dogs and she's great with them, she's 5. The other is a youngster at 12 months and has never seen a dog, though she is bossy and very out going, but I am not sure how she'll react, though if she is anything like the older cat she'll get used to the idea the dog isn't going to go away any time soon :p

My only hassle is the introduction of the dog to the cats....when I've had puppies, they have been full on and pushed themselves into the older cats life, she was hesitant at first but got used to the idea and quite liked rough housing with the dog, even though they both would put their mouth over the neck (like Hooch in Turner and Hooch)of the other (like they were going to kill each other), they never went beyond playing. It was great to see them both happily playing and sleeping together.

I have been searching heaps of rescues, and breeders. But nothing yet. I don't mind waiting for the perfect dog to come along, it will be worth it in the end.

Thank you

BF

Depending on where you get your dog from, there is no guarantee that an adult will be toilet trained.

It might also have behaviours (such as cat chasing) just as challenging to handle as a pup's.

Choose carefully and if going to a rescue, make sure its someone who's had the dog in foster care and isn't running a revolving door of homing dogs from pounds in no time flat.

Guest lavendergirl

+1 for getting an older dog - because there are so many needing homes. I adopted from a shelter a few months ago but in hindsight I think I would look at a dog that has been in foster care. That way you can get an accurate picture of what it is like in a home situation. Make a list of questions and don't feel under pressure to take any dog you don't feel you could bond with. Good luck.

Depending on where you get your dog from, there is no guarantee that an adult will be toilet trained.

It might also have behaviours (such as cat chasing) just as challenging to handle as a pup's.

Choose carefully and if going to a rescue, make sure its someone who's had the dog in foster care and isn't running a revolving door of homing dogs from pounds in no time flat.

+1 for getting an older dog - because there are so many needing homes. I adopted from a shelter a few months ago but in hindsight I think I would look at a dog that has been in foster care. That way you can get an accurate picture of what it is like in a home situation. Make a list of questions and don't feel under pressure to take any dog you don't feel you could bond with. Good luck.

Its definitely worth heeding the advice from both these posts.

Personally, I would only get an older dog from a breed rescue or a breeder.

My dog was matched to my requirements by the breed rescue. We had to wait until the right dog came along and they did a great job. :thumbsup:

As for cats- the rescue indicated that our dog might chase our cat (she has a quite a bit of drive), but we were confident that our cat would handle living with a dog as she is a pretty tough old cookie.

We managed the introductions very carefully and very quickly the cat was established as top animal.

Now the dog will give up her bed if the cat so much as looks at it. :laugh:

Not that all introductions go that well, but I know of many more successes than failures. :)

Its another reason why you should have a cooling off period. If it doesn't work out, you can return the dog.

We've raised four puppies in our time, and then the last four dogs came to us as adults (or almost adults) - 9 months old, 2 years old, and two dogs at four years old. House-broken, past the chewing stage, past the crying stage, used to walking on lead. Only one had never lived indoors and she caught onto house training and lead walking within a week. We've even changed the name of some - no problems.

They make fabulous pets and seem to know when they're well off. They bond just as well as pups. I highly recommend adult dogs to anyone. I have a theory that nature made pups so cute so people would fall for those beautiful faces and lovely puppy breath, because it's literally like bringing up a kid (only thankfully not for so long). Everyone wants a cute pup, but believe me there is so much to be said for an adult dog - just a pleasure to live with !!

I say go for it - you won't regret it.

:D :D :D

I think that is a good point. I was pretty lucky with my boy re the toilet training, but there is no guarantee.

If I were looking for a rescue in future I would definitely go with one that had been in foster care and had been there long enough for people to know what behaviours positive and negative they might have.

You definitely get a better idea of what a dog might be like in a home environment if the dog is already in one rather than in a kennel environment.

well most of our dogs are retreads...

the 2 dumbmations were older leo 10mo and sophie 2 years.

leo was bought out of the trading post as i did not want a piddling puppy! what i picked up was a piddling older dog.... he did however have a severe kidney infection when i got him... so after he saw a vet and got treated it has never been a drama!

as for being dumb! show him food and he will run thru about 20 or so tricks so he can get the food. he has been the easiest dog i have ever had.

sophie is featured in some threads here she was one of 4 dallies well 5 really.... who were dumped on a dol member. 1 was pts straight away.... no training and terrified... he also would stand and fight...

2 was kept for a time and showed very little aggression and was rehomed but sadly due to circumstance he was pts to. for biting.

3 was sent to kirty and rehomed and is doing well...

4 was sophie who we tryed to rehome but she got protective.... and as she was a no win no keep was returned to us....i have her sitting and shaking hands... she also now comes. from dog that was terrified of humans and would run now to one who will auto roll over for a tummy scruff... seems she is a huge sucess..... although she will never train like leo.... she finds it hard to figure out what you want and will not trial and error... she has been starved (well i feel she had as she was under weight when she came here) so when the food comes out she looses the plot and cannot think past omg food...

sadly that brings us to the last of sophies family number 5... she had advanced breast cancer and did not live out a year.

even with the worst start most dogs can come right with the right home.... often those that don't come right are not in the right home.

I have no problems taking on older dogs, most of our dogs were "second hand" when I was growing up and they were great. Our very first family dog as a kid was an adult Aussie Terrier who's elderly owner was in very ill in hospital - his dying wish was to my aunt to find his little dog a new home, so we got him.

When my parents bought the farm it included several working dogs and a Dobermann bitch who was the biggest gem of all. Years later I found a Dobermann bitch advertised in a paper and went to see her, she was living in a tiny pen and was very skinny - there was something in her eyes that made me take her with me. When my father took one look at her he said there was something wrong with her - he was right but she had a couple of great years with us. She took a bit to settle in but it was soon obvious that someone had loved her once and spent a lot of time on her training. If she didn't work out I would have had her pts - but I was not leaving her there.

My hubby already had a GSD x Collie Rough, he got her as a pup but was 2 yrs when we met, she was our kids first dog - best kids pet you could wish for :D. We adopted an adult Maltese, he was going to be sent to the pound but I took him sight unseen (I worked with his owners sister, got his full history) to help James get over his fear of small fluffy dogs from when he attacked at 4yrs old by my sisters SWF and was terrified of them. He was not in good condition when we got him - only 2.2 kgs and heavily matted coat, riddled with fleas, I clipped him off, wormed him and fattened him up to a whopping 3.5 kgs :laugh: - best of all, he helped James overcome his fear of small fluffy dogs.

I got Piper (Rottweiler) at 17 months old from her breeder and she was great. I have rehomed Rotties at 5 - 8 months old and one came back almost a yr later, she was later rehomed again around 2 yrs old. Hamish left at 5 mths and came back at 15 mths old and staying, can't part with him again :o .

Lizzy (Pug) was rehomed early this year and I brought her back home after 3 months, she stayed with me for a few more months and has recently been rehomed again - her new family adore her. They called me yesterday (updates weekly, sometimes more :D )and love how well adjusted she is, she has 2 Staffford buddies who have accepted her like she was always there. I am going to see her in 2 weeks and so looking forward to it :thumbsup: .

I don't plan on taking on any more adults for a while - but have future plans for retired or reject greyhounds through GAP - although I have a feeling I will have 2 of them but that will be a long way off.

Recycled dogs can make great pets but get as much information on them as possible to make sure you can chose the most suitable dog to suit your needs and experience.

Good luck with your search for your next dog(s).

Thank you everyone,

I am only looking at rescue groups who foster, and at breeders who have dogs that are no longer breeding or not up to show standards and need a new home. I want/need to know a bit about the dog I plan on bringing into my home.

Thank you for the tips and for the stories. I know I am doing what is right for us as a family and for our future dog.

I agree puppies are so cute and I love having them, but its NOT all roses and apple pies, its hard work and some pups take a long time to get it. I want to have new carpets soon, though that can wait until I know if there are going to be any constant accidents, at least until the dog has settled in. I understand this can happen, and I am fine with that.

BF