Conditioning Program For Dog

I also have this in health forum, but thought as many of you compete in dog sports you may be of help.

I have the Melbourne Royal and Bullmastiff Nationals coming up in 4-5 weeks.

I would have started this topic earlier however my 15 month Bullmastiff was diagnosed with a rare problem called "priapism" (continual erection) 4 weeks ago and so I havent been exercising him so as not to "aggravate" the problem. He was put on suprelorin 4 weeks ago and I think its finally starting to improve. Its not as bad as it was anyway. So tonight we went for a little exercise consisting on walking/jogging/sprinting for only about half hour or so. I didnt want to over do it since he hasnt been exercised in weeks.

So my first question is: Can I condition him in the little time I have until the Nationals?

Can someone suggest some good exercises to do with him, how often and how long each session should be for? I know swimming is a good one, so Im hoping to incorporate that (or atleast wading at shoulder height). Should I alternate days of swimming with jogging/walking up hills? How many rest days should he have? If someone has a good exercise regime they have used before or could recommend that would be much appreciated.

I'd also like to know if you think him having had suprelorin will have much of an impact on him building muscle.

And finally, I have been feeding him a raw diet however Im finding it hard to source my food reliably and affordable, so until I can source it regularly I want to start feeding a dry food as part of his diet. I have enquired about Black Hawk but was wondering is there something else that someone can recommend that would be good to help build muscle/condition.

All help/ suggestions much appreciated

When I was conditioning my siberian for his sledding races last year, I started walking/jogging/sprinting with him every morning- we started with just 30 mins, and built it up to and hour and a half. At the end of our route was a big hill for hill training. After his fitness increased I also got him to wear a backpack and carry his water. 2 days a week we just walked (as rest days). I also started biking him once a week using a "springer" bike attatchment. I noticed a huge improvement in his fitness (and in mine) in just 2 weeks!

ETA There may also be some useful info on this subject in one of the E.T threads :)

Edited by boxagirl

I think you can do it in 5 weeks. Depends how "bad" is his condition right now, but if he is just a bit flabby then you can do it. As for having super muscles - that meeds a bit more then a month, althought you will see an improvement pretty soon.

You would have to assess what excercise has he been doing in the recent weeks and basically do more from now on.

I would be doing swimming and joggin each day, and no rest days unless you see him in lame or in pain. I mean - getting up slower would indicate to me that he is a bit stiff and in a bit of pain. I would still excercise, just not as much

Good luck at the Royal.

I believe that being on superlorin will affect his ability to build muscle... maybe not much, but it does have some effect... Superlorin, is, in effect, the same as being neutered, and the lack of testosterone is significant enough that they wouldn't build as much muscle as an entire male.

Thank you for your replies :)

Since he is a bullmastiff I cant run him for an hour or more. Weve been going out everyday and doing just over 3 km, which I know isnt much but its enough for him at this stage, Im too scared to push him too hard, especially since he is not used to it and they just arent built to go and go and go. We do intervals of jogging and fast walking and he is pretty knackered by the time we get home. I havent got him to the beach yet but I will asap as I believe that would be even more beneficial to him, also looking for a fenced park/oval of some sort so I can let him free run. We have sopme pretty steep hills around here too, so I'll give them ago aswell.

Thanks Boxagirl, I'll check out the ET threads. I cant actually believe he has motivated me enough to exercise,lol. Funnily enough Im enjoying it though which is a surprise, so fingers crossed, between my job, which is fairly physical and exercising Chase, I might drop a few kilos in time for the shows too!

Monelite, his condition isnt bad, hes certainly not fat, his muscles just arent as well defined as they were, so Im hoping you are right and we can get him looking nice in the short time we have. Thanks for the luck. Im only doing the royal because its on the friday and the nationals are on the sunday and monday, so thought I may aswell since Im making the trip down anyway. Cant wait.

Sparky Tansy, I have heard that, but then Ive also heard it shouldnt make a difference. I just hope that if it does its not that noticeable. I absolutely hate having to give him the implant, espcially right before such important shows and I was unable to have him collected first. I just hope he continues to mature properly when it wears off as he still has a good 2 years of maturing to do. I know I should just be greatful as it could have been a hell of a lot worse.

Thanks again :)

If he isnt that bad then dont over do it. I

Thats in case you go and injure him unintetionally and he has to then rest and not excercise.

But I dont think 5km walk/run would be too much.

I find that if my dogs run off lead, however they want to, they develop the best