Crating

ok, since crating was brought up in general topics I'm curious to find out what other people do. How long is too long in a crate etc

I do crate my puppy if I'm out for short periods and at night. During the day if I'm working I'm leaving him in the laundry cause my other dog is outside but I don't want to leave them alone together just yet. I'm hearing others say they leave their dogs in their crates when they are at work? What age do you do that? I'm not sure I would, just curious how long he will be able to be left as he grows. He's only 11wks now, no longer than 2 hours in the crate atm.

As a puppy, my Pug slept in his crate, next to my bed, at night. Twice during the night (I set my alarm) I got up and took him outside to the toilet.

During the day, I kept him in the kitchen, which I sectioned off with baby gates. I put his crate in there with the door open. I had bought him a playpen, but he kept knocking it down.

My rule with crates is to never leave them in there for more than 2 hours. And only when it is absolutely necessary.

I rarely use the crate now, apart from travelling in the car.

I wouldn't leave them in there during the day, but I know people who do.

Edited by littlesquashyguys

Wibur sleeps in his crate at night next to my bed. During the day, i'm home with him and only leave him in his crate (no more than 2 hrs) if i have to go out. He also sleeps in his crate during the day (in between being outside til he's tuckered out); it's situated in the lounge room. He also has a bed in the lounge room that he is allowed to sleep on during the day when his behaviour is calm. If he is having trouble settling down then he is crated for day sleeps. The house rule for behaviour is calm behaviour inside at all times and crazies and rough play are for outside. To encourage this, his softy toys are inside and all rough & tumble and exercise toys are outside for him to play with.

ATM his crate is a PP40 travel crate. Soon we will replace that with a 42" wire crate on lockable wheels that will be situated in the kitchen. He will be crated at night for his entire life although when he's completely toilet trained the crate door will be left open and he will be trained to ring a bell at the back door to let us know to let him out.