Puppy Vaccination

jazzie

I have a German Shepherd Puppy that has had his first vaccination at 6 weeks. The vet where he was done at has him due at 12 weeks, then again at 16. My vet i have spoken to said 10 weeks. What age have people got their pups done?

It depends on the vaccine. There are some that are registered to finish at 10wks, but those that aren't will finish at 12 or 16, depending what protocol your vet follows.

Generally, we do 8, 12 and 16wks just because we prefer to be on the safe side in the rare chance the 12wk didn't take. I've heard of pups contracting parvo after finishing at 12, so this is why we prefer to go up to 16wks.

Wilbur was vaccinated at 6 weeks and then 10 weeks and his booster is due at 14 weeks. His breeder's vet did the 6 week vaccination and then had 12 weeks as the next vaccination due date. When i went for our arrival vet check we were advised to get him done at 10 weeks and then 14 weeks. I have no idea why the intervals changed.

Thanks guys, Im pritty sure my vet has the third one aswel so must be 14 weeks. I was just worried about the time differance the vet he was vaccinated through said which if he was done at 6 weeks then again at 12 weeks it seems 6 weeks between was alot i thought it was normally 4 weeks. Both my other dogs had three puppy vaccinations but were only 4 weeks apart.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jazzie

I am an online Holistic Vet with a passion for natural diets and have welcomed the shift in the veterinary community to move away from annual vaccinations. Many pets suffer from reactions and side effects when multiple vaccinations are administered every year, and current scientific recommendations are to tailor vaccination schedules for each individual pet, according to their health, lifestyle and individual needs.

If your pet is plagued with chronic problems or ill-health such as recurrent ear infections, itchy skin or feet, digestive issues, arthritis, allergies, or other disease then it is possible that annual vaccinations will aggravate, or may have even caused, these problems. If your pet is not exuding perfect health, he/she should not be vaccinated.

My approach is to provide clients with advice regarding your pet's current vaccination schedule, and outline how to safely minimise the number of vaccines your pet is receiving, and the frequency of administration, while still ensuring your pet is fully protected against life-threatening diseases like Parvovirus.

I have written a dog vaccination article on my website that you may find interesting, and I can provide an individualised vaccination schedule specific to your pet and situation.

Kind regards

Dr Renee

Holistic Vet