Breast Cancer In Dogs

akub

Hi guys!!

So here's my first post and oh how I wish it was a positive one!!!

We have a spayed female and last week when I was doing a regular check of her skin (she has allergy issues) I noticed a lump on her abdomen about the size of my female adult thumb. It appears to be attached to the skin (under the layers) but is moveable and non-tender. So after a home visit from the vet we booked her in to another vet to get a needle aspiration. Well; that was Monday and today she went back in to get it removed and sent of for histology and her results should be back on Friday.

I flat out asked the vet if he thought it was Mast Cell and he said that he is thinking that it may be a breast cancer (I am kicking myself that I don't remember the exact name) or just an over accumulation of cells from an inflammatory response or such. Me being me; I am trying to prepare myself for the worst case scenario so that I may be active in her treatment should it come down to that.

Has anyone out there come across a canine breast cancer?? Any advice, info would be so greatly appreciated.

Get a chest x-ray done asap to see if it has spread. One of my girls had an mammary gland removed last year because it had a small cyst on it with a tiny pre-tumourous growth inside the cyst. I wasn't overly worried because the vet took such a large margin around the cyst.

I lost her suddenly to extensive cancer in the lungs, chest cavity and brain 9 months later. She only lived a week from diagnosis so there was no time to treat her. In hindsight there were odd little things that indicated all was not well over those 9 months but she was never ill at all. It seems the mammary lump may have been a secondary tumour to the main one in her chest and if we had found it last year she might still be here.

Hi Guys!

Well Bronte got her results on Friday and turns out that it isn't cancerous (phew). The vet set is was a rare infection response in a hair follicle (or something along those lines) and now that it is removed it is anticipated that she will make a full recovery. Trust my girl to have something rare!!

Thanks for all of your help and support!!!

Hi Guys!

Well Bronte got her results on Friday and turns out that it isn't cancerous (phew). The vet set is was a rare infection response in a hair follicle (or something along those lines) and now that it is removed it is anticipated that she will make a full recovery. Trust my girl to have something rare!!

Thanks for all of your help and support!!!

So happy for you akub. Give your girl lots of hugs from me.