A Historical Precedent For Our New Legislation

SpotTheDog

Fantastic post. Thank you very much for sharing.

Do you mind if I copy and post elsewhere/make it a note on facebook.

Obviously happy to give credit to you or whoever was in charge of writing this fantastic piece.

LOL - it's my piece, Kiera. I emailed my old lecturer recently to ask if he could remember the story and he sent me some news story links as starting points and I went from there.

There's more information to be collated out there - this is just a first draft. I was considering expanding to a full feature article and approaching some broadsheets on it, but there's more to be done on it (and in fairness I should probably take it off here if I wanted to do that).

Great article. I wonder what is actually happening in the UK though as I had a look at the relevant government dept today out of interest and the law is still atm in force. I thought there was a bill to amend, but I now I think of it they might be calling for public submissions. will have a hunt...

ETA current situation note the comments regarding type being important not breed:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/InYourHome/AnimalsAndPets/DG_180098

Edited by Quickasyoucan

Great article. I wonder what is actually happening in the UK though as I had a look at the relevant government dept today out of interest and the law is still atm in force. I thought there was a bill to amend, but I now I think of it they might be calling for public submissions. will have a hunt...

Yep it is still in force - and costing a fortune to implement. I wonder how the figures compare with the 6-12 million stg spent by the NHS on dog bites annually - and how far that figure has gone down...

See if I want to turn this into a proper submission to a broadsheet that's the stuff I need to sit back and research. I might leave this up a bit longer for other ideas and feedback, then ask the mods to take it down and I can work on it as an article with input from interested parties, then go to the papers.

Yep it is still in force - and costing a fortune to implement. I wonder how the figures compare with the 6-12 million stg spent by the NHS on dog bites annually - and how far that figure has gone down...

See if I want to turn this into a proper submission to a broadsheet that's the stuff I need to sit back and research. I might leave this up a bit longer for other ideas and feedback, then ask the mods to take it down and I can work on it as an article with input from interested parties, then go to the papers.

Here is a link to DEFRA which talks about the public consultation they had last year on the laws (still under consideration) and also invites people to make submission to the Home Office on th measures to stop anti-social behaviour which includes the dog laws:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/dangerous/

Fantastic post. Thank you very much for sharing.

Do you mind if I copy and post elsewhere/make it a note on facebook.

Obviously happy to give credit to you or whoever was in charge of writing this fantastic piece.

LOL - it's my piece, Kiera. I emailed my old lecturer recently to ask if he could remember the story and he sent me some news story links as starting points and I went from there.

There's more information to be collated out there - this is just a first draft. I was considering expanding to a full feature article and approaching some broadsheets on it, but there's more to be done on it (and in fairness I should probably take it off here if I wanted to do that).

I completely understand.

I look forward to reading the finalised product.

Here is a link to DEFRA which talks about the public consultation they had last year on the laws (still under consideration) and also invites people to make submission to the Home Office on th measures to stop anti-social behaviour which includes the dog laws:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/dangerous/

That's really useful - thanks for that. I think I'd like to put some focus on the costs of treating dog bites, the impact of legislation on dog bite numbers, the cost of implementing the legislation plus the cost to DEFRA of holding a consultation on policy review some 20 years later.

I also believe that, like any project, our politicans should be held accountable for how they intend to evaluate the success of legislation, including having a measured evaluation plan with process, impact and outcome evaluation.

I completely understand.

I look forward to reading the finalised product.

Hey if I can't get a broadsheet to pick it up, it's going everywhere else I can find space, including as letters to every politican I can find.

If that is the case, happy to help distribute when the time comes.

I did point a few people on a different forum over here to have a look see earlier just because I think it is a great article and well written.

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

NSW is the only state to have mandatory bite reporting.

Their statistics do not suggest that pitbulls are a major problem and their statistics suggest that Staffordshire Bull Terriers are one of the most popular dogs and accordingly have higher bite stats, same with farm dogs of all breeds and bitsas. Ie there's lots of them and some bite.

http://www.dlg.nsw.gov.au/dlg/dlghome/dlg_generalindex.asp?sectionid=1&areaindex=DAIDATA&documenttype=8&mi=9&ml=10

The first annual report has the best info from a person who wants to keep their dog.

And it looks like Airedales should be restricted based on the info.

As best I can tell - there isn't a separate list for fatal injuries especially to humans. I think it happens not often enough to be significant. Children are way more likely to be killed by cars, and accidents at home including drowning in pools of water.

Hope that helps.

I thought the original stuff should be shared around as much as possible because we really need to fight back, call talk backs and plug the merits of dog ownership, especially on RUOk day.