Constipated Puppies

woody2shoes

Hi all, I have a litter of 7 whippets 9 days old today. All seem to be thriving...noticed tonight that one pup started to strain, passed a very firm stool and since then has been in quite a bit of pain (straining) in between bouts of relative calm. Not long after another pup started showing the same symptoms - the others are all fine.

Any ideas please? Is this something coming through the milk? Is it lack of stimulation on the bitch's part? What can I do to help these babies...I've been using a warm flannel to rub their tummies when they're in pain but don't want to watch them distressed like this all night if I can avoid it.

Thanks in advance...

w2s

Have you tried to toilet them yourself with a wet warm flannel ? they might need a little extra stimulation.

Bitches milk changes as they grow, so it might just be that.

But check each nipple for healthy looking milk just in case.

if they are really constipated you might need to check with your vet & give a small amount of a gentle oil orally. I don't like giving oil though.

wouldn't hurt to give them some protexin as well.

I have had a couple I've had to give a gentle warm water enema too, and one that needed a tiny amount of the enema paste from the vet. (they were on formula)

Are they colicy too ?

fifi

edited for tired brain..

Edited by fifi

Have you tried to toilet them yourself with a wet warm flannel ? they might need a little extra stimulation.

Bitches milk changes as they grow, so it might just be that.

But check each nipple for healthy looking milk just in case.

if they are really constipated you might need to check with your vet & give a small amount of a gentle oil orally. I don't like giving oil though.

wouldn't hurt to give them some protexin as well.

I have had a couple I've had to give a gentle warm water enema too, and one that needed a tiny amount of the enema paste from the vet. (they were on formula)

Are they colicy too ?

fifi

edited for tired brain..

Thanks for your reply fifi...I wouldn't say they were colicy just struggling to pass stools. I tried stimulating them with a flannel but that seemed to distress them so I've now left them with mum to calm down. The second pup affected was passing quite solid stools and mum just doesn't seem to be at all concerned except when it became quite distressed. They are sleeping at the moment. When they are in pain, they strain like crazy and once that wave passes they settle down again. I guess my question is, is it safe to monitor them overnight and address the situation in the morning once a vet/shop is open?

Mum's milk seems fine, no hard/hot teats, all looking very normal so I don't know what is causing this except that I wonder if she is stimulating them enough? She is a maiden bitch and has been a great mother but who knows.

Also, when you gave the enema, how did you apply it?

Thanks.

w2s

Also edited for tired brain

Edited by woody2shoes

So difficult to know without being there woody, if they are in a lot of distress then it might be an idea to phone your vet for advice.

If they are eating, moving and sleeping normally, then you could just monitor them for the rest of the night and vet if needed.

sometimes being layed across a very thickly wrapped / well insulated hot water bottle will relax their tummies.

fifi

Edited by fifi

So difficult to know without being there woody, if they are in a lot of distress then it might be an idea to phone your vet for advice.

If they are eating, moving and sleeping normally, then you could just monitor them for the rest of the night and vet if needed.

sometimes being layed across a very thickly wrapped / well insulated hot water bottle will relax their tummies.

fifi

Neither pup has nursed since this started but they are resting well in between bouts and the second pup seems quite relaxed now. The first pup is still getting quite a bit of pain when straining and managed to pass an inch long stool that was almost rock hard...not sure if I should try an enema or seek advice now. She is still getting quite distressed when the bouts come.

Couple simple tricks that work in no time flat. Boil up some liver and reduce the water (use only enough to cover the liver in the pot) to half. Let cool and syringe fluid into each pup. About 10ml should work nicely.

Through the mom....give her some goat milk. Let her have as much as she wants. Usually one good nursing of pups and an hour or two later, relief.

the key with constipation in either pups or adults, is increase moisture dramatically.

How are they this morning Woody ?

totally agree with Angelsun, rock hard stools can also indicate a need for fluids.

There's uncomfortable/firm stools, and then there is solid - and that is fluid intake time.

I would also give them some protexin, and make sure the whelping area isn't too hot.

fifi