Keeping A Bitch In The Backyard

Talien

Hey all,

This is not an issue with my dog, he's not arrived yet, but, my friend's dog Elysia keeps escaping the backyard. She's not been spayed as my friend wants her to "be a mummy" (don't even get me started :mad )

Anyway Elysia keeps getting out even though the fence seems fine.

Is it normal for bitches to roam when they are in heat? How can I tell if she has gotten pregnant? And how can I try to convince my friend to completely stop thinking about this? The whole idea disgusts me and will be unfair on both the bitch and the pups, Elysia is according to my friend only limited register and they don't even have any papers being told it was cheaper without any papers at all.

I don't even know if the the girl has been vaccinated.

Man there are so many things wrong with this and I am doing my best but I don't know what else I can do :(

I feel your frustration, ugh had some customers bring me in a Shihtzu in heat to be groomed the other day the "want to get a litter out of her" kind grrrr why are there so many of these people!?

The only foolproof thing you coudl probably do to keep her from dogs is to keep her crated indoors. and maybe not walk her out and about too much... otherwise just encouraging more neighbourhood dogs to roam looking for the bitch :mad

Is it normal for the girls to be getting out and roaming though? I thought that was just a boy thing? Could she just be bored out of her mind or is it because she is in heat?

No, some girls will go to great lengths to get out and go looking for a boyfriend.

Sounds like her :rofl:

How long do bitches stay in heat?

Is there anyway to tell if she has gotten pregnant just from looking at her?

The average bitch will be in heat for about 3 weeks. She will become fertile at around day 10 for about a week, but bitches can have huge variations in the length of the season and the fertile period, so she should be kept in for the full time. There isn't really a way to tell just by looking if she is pregnant at this stage.

Maybe if she ends up at the pound when she gets out they may try harder to keep her in in the future.

My girl was desexed when I got her at 1 and a half, she was an escape artist and a roamer, I built a pen quick smart to keep her in while I was not home and when I was home she was either inside with me or I was outside with her. These days - at 8 and a half - she is a little more trust worthy (or maybe it's just age limitimg her jumping ability) and can be in the back yard without me and she gets to hang out with the other dogs.

She is still put in her pen while I'm not home though as I don't want to risk her getting that one big spurt of energy that will get her over the fence. Man I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I bought a staffy - it has sure been one big life lesson - but I know now I will never be without one :)

I've successfully stopped 2 bitches from roaming by having them de-sexed. Advice both times was that it wouldn't work but it did.

Yesterday my little girl with a brilliant recall basically flipped me the finger and tried to nick off. Sure enough she is coming into season.

Keep reporting the dog or taking it to the pound every time it escapes.

The fee for reclaiming an entire dog is higher and in some areas if the dog is in season they will get an extra fine on top.

Your friend is an irresponsible idiot and we have laws to protect the community from people like her.