How Much Food Should An 18 Month Old Golden Retriever Eat?

goldee

I have a 14 month old male Golden Retriever, he weighs 37kg but it quite tall for a Golden and is not overweight.

I feed him 3 cups of Black Hawk a day. He loves it and is in great condition. It isn't too expensive either, about $85 for 20kg including delivery and you don't have to feed as much as you do with Supercoat...

my goldie bitch is small- and at 8 months is 22kgs so i dont think 28kgs is alot for a golden really - i would still change her iet i HATE supercoat it is nasty rubbish... i feed nutro and love it, i also feed mince and i dont worry sbout calcium amounts as she gets raw meaty bones and also dry food so she has plenty in there :)tinned food is 80%water so ur wasting ur money on that, a cheap way to buymince is to get minced chicken frames my btcher sells it for 10kgs for 10 bucks! bargain!

Thanks for the replies. I dont think my girl is overweight now but i do think what i feed her needs to be better. Its probably more of convience at the moment than anything. At The supercoat bag i buy is $30, so its more than twice the price. I've been in to pet stock and was shocked at how much the big bags were! But i would rather buy her something that is better for her and that she eats! I dont think she likes the supercoat that much so i wouldn't be surprised if i wasted most of it. There is a place that will deliver pet food so i am going to try that. They have all types of bones.

Thanks for the tip about the butcher. I will see if any ones around here have that! That is excellent. I can pay that for not even 1kg! Do you cook the mince or does she eat is raw?

Supercoat isn't considered to be a good quality food, you might find if you change her to a superpremium like Black Hawk then you need to feed less, so yes its more expensive to look at, but if you feed less it works out better. Feed her the mince raw, but make sure you get pet mince or minced chicken frames, they have bone which is good for her

Have you got some pics of your girl?

Edited by GoldenGirl85

Supercoat isn't considered to be a good quality food, you might find if you change her to a superpremium like Black Hawk then you need to feed less, so yes its more expensive to look at, but if you feed less it works out better. Feed her the mince raw, but make sure you get pet mince or minced chicken frames, they have bone which is good for her

Have you got some pics of your girl?

A friend just gave me a sample of what they use for their dog - Royal Canin. Just by looking at it i can see the difference between that and supercoat! It is like 4 time thick for each little buscuit. Im hoping to pop up to a place that sells marrow and roo bones. They also sell mince chicken (for dogs) for $4 for 2 kg.

I have pm'd you some photos :)

Did you realise that if there is a significant fat layer under the skin you won't be able to "grab hold" of it as it will be quite firm? If the dog is normal weight you should be able to grab loose skin with a fine fat layer quite easily.