Showing Staffys

vic2010

I am looking at showing a staffy.

What tips can ppl who do show them give me with this breed.

I use to show about 3 years ago, different breed, but wanted to get an insight into what its like showing this breed.

I know that there was always a lot of staffys getting shown and seemed like the competition was fierce.

Just would like to get some tips and advice.

thx guys

The best advice I could offer would be to go to a few shows and speak to the others that are showing.

Good luck with staring to show again. :thumbsup: I've been doing it for over 40 years and still love every minute of it.

I guess tips in the way of suggestions as to how to stand out when there is so much competition.

How to get the edge so to speak.

I am getting excited about the prospect of doing it again. I never really stopped enjoying it just circumstances changed, but things have settled again which is why its on the cards again.

i am looking at staffys cause I have just looked after one for almost a week and I had no idea that they were such loyal dogs, exactly what we are looking for in a dog with having lots of kids :)

With the two other breeds that I have shown there was so much narking and nit picking, as well as people not being honest with themselves and therefore not doing things in the best interests of the breed. i think due to this I have learnt not to neccessarily go with someone with the loudest voice, or someone that majorly talks themselves up and boasts. Avoid snobbiness.

i think the best thing I was ever told about showing is that you need a tough skin.

I have always done it cause I enjoyed it first and formost, which is why I am looking at it again, I do miss it. It also gave me time out from the kids and gave me some ME time with my furry friend :)

I really want to do well and I know that its going to be a lot of work, but doing it with the right breed makes a huge difference.

Don't buy a dog because you want a show dog, buy a dog because it's the dog you want to own - even the busiest show dog isn't in the ring for more than an hour a week, what do you do with it for the rest of the time? Sounds like you've got this one sorted but I do suggest you find out a lot more about the breed before deciding it is the breed for you.

There's lots of narking and nit picking and people not being honest with themselves in any breed, but if you ignore the person with the most to say and make a point of hanging out with the people who don't spend their entire time at the show running everyone else down but laugh and have fun and enjoy being with their dogs and their friends, then you're probably ahead of the game

As for standing out - well having a good dog, well trained, well conditioned and handled well is always a helpful :D

You will probably find it quite difficult to buy a show potential puppy from an ethical breeder - there's not many breeding at the moment because of the difficulty in selling pups due to the blue craze and the explosion of BYBs, so be prepared to be patient and if you hook up with the right people you'll learn a lot while your waiting.

There's some very good breeders in Qld, and unfortunately a large number of very bad ones :(

Thanks Sandra :)

I have always done showing for the social aspect.

I did notice the start of the blue craze at the end of when I use to show years ago. I was showing Iggys and it was starting to get rampant with them then and when I watched the staffys (the group 2 ring was next to the ring I was in) I did notice a lot of blue staffys making an appearance.

I am willing to look at breeders in other states and I think I am really going to have to study the lines and stuff to be able to sift through all the breeders that are around.

I guess one thing i value in a breeder is HONESTY.

What happened to the dogs you showed previously?

I wouldn't be recommending that most people attempt a Stafford and an Iggy in the same household....

When I said there's some good breeders in Qld I was meaning that you need to be able to physically go to someone's house (for preference) and spend time talking to them, examining their dogs and discuss the pros and cons of the dogs in front of you.

Unless you fancy a prolonged road trip (which maybe you do! :)) IMO you need to start close to home, especially with a breed where you don't know the ins and outs of the bloodlines you want to study.... You don't need to end up buying from these people, and the good ones will direct you to other breeders who have dogs more like what you are looking for if their type isn't what you like.

First thing you need to decide is what type do you actually prefer...

That's good advice.

No, I don't have my iggy anymore. He is no longer with us, sorry I don't want to go into too much detail as its upsetting :(. Its also part of the reason of the long break from showing.

There is a particular type that I do like and it is making it a bit easier going through all the breeders. I am also going onto the appropriate canine council and seeing which breeders are on there and what sort of dogs they have.

Its always such a big task going through pedigrees and talking to breeders but i actually find it kind of fun and extremely interesting. :)

I can only offer generic advice.

1. Go to a big speciality. Its your best chance of seeing what's out there and who's got what.

2. Research research research. If you know the type you like, so much the better.

3. (Going against Sandra here ;)). Buy OUT of your area. The breeders in your area ain't going to sell you a pup that will beat theirs for the most part. Personally I think you have a better chance of getting a better dog outside your region.

4. Start with a male. It's a dog breed I think anyway but also it increases your chances of getting a quality dog.

5. Be very careful if you're signing up for co-ownerhip. Such arrangements can be fabulous or disastrous. Be crystal clear about who's obligated to do what.

6. Be prepared to have to work your way up. Its a very competitive breed with a distinct handling style and my guess and you may not get a world beater first time around. That dog will however allow you to develop contacts in the breed and demonstrate your commitment.

7. Keep your mouth shut and your ears open. Stay out of politics. It will catch up with you soon enough when you start winning.

Edited by poodlefan

3. (Going against Sandra here ;)). Buy OUT of your area. The breeders in your area ain't going to sell you a pup that will beat theirs for the most part. Personally I think you have a better chance of getting a better dog outside your region.

Glad I'm not in your breed PF :(

Didn't actually suggest they buy local just educate themselves locally :) but if I have a litter and have a couple of show potential pups, I'm happy to sell the other one locally where I can keep an eye on it rather than sell it a million miles away never to be seen again. I have a bitch from my last litter and her sister lives literally 3 minutes drive from me and we show against her all the time. So far, she's kicking our butt :laugh:

I have a litter due next Wednesday and am desperate for a dog from this cross (sure way to make sure it's all bitches of course!), if there's a top notch bitch I'm hardly planning on sending her to outer mongolia so I never get to see her again!

ETA: and if you plan on showing good Staffords, going to a speciality will only make you very angry and depressed you when you go back to the all breeds arena in Qld - what wins under those that know the breed bears little resemblence to what wins at all breeds up here!

Edited by Sandra777

I have a litter due next Wednesday and am desperate for a dog from this cross (sure way to make sure it's all bitches of course!), if there's a top notch bitch I'm hardly planning on sending her to outer mongolia so I never get to see her again!

That's my point Sandra. Breeders generally breed to keep something for themselves. Buying from someone who shows where you do, you're likely to be up against the breeders pick pups. Its not any dirty dealing, just the reality of competing against the person who bred and picked what they wanted before selling on.

That's my point Sandra. Breeders generally breed to keep something for themselves. Buying from someone who shows where you do, you're likely to be up against the breeders pick pups. Its not any dirty dealing, just the reality of competing against the person who bred and picked what they wanted before selling on.

Huh? I sell pick bitch because I want to keep a dog and that's BAD news for a newby??

Surely the logic applies regardess of where the pup comes from then - a breeder will only ever sell the second (or third or fourth) best pup - which means the second or third or fourth best pup goes elsewhere and competes with the first pick pup from other breeders.

Perhaps in breeds where it's practical to house a dozen adults it's different, but the majority of Stafford people have very small "kennels".

One very valid point that Sandra has made applying to Staffords: decided why you want to show - do you want points and titles and public acumen of all breed showing or do you want your dog to stand up against its and your peers at a special? They are 2 VERY different types of dogs unfortunately. If you are thinking of getting into breeding down the line then the second option should be your only option but you are probably going to be disappointed in the all breed arena. Sad but true :(

If you choose all breeds, then at least get your dog into good condition - there are WAY too many fat Staffords out there at the moment and people are starting to believe that a Stafford should be one solid block of a dog. And remember - the bigger head doesn't necessarily mean the better dog, it should flow in its conformation.

You will probably have more success with breeders if you choose a male. Wanting a bitch on the main reg without having a proven track record in the breed usually means you want to breed and that rings warning bells with breeders.

Research research research and keep talking to breeders. Get the breed standard and memorise it and learn to pick a dog apart conformationally. That way instead of thinking 'don't like that one' you can figure out WHY.

Get a mirror and learn to stack in front of it so you can see how your dog is standing from the judge's perspective.

My biggest fault in showing (I'm crap) is that I get very nervous and this travels down the lead and we both go to pot. So don't be nervous! :laugh: Wish it was that easy!!! (Actually alcohol does help!)