Stem Cells Rejuvenating Arthritic Dogs

Boronia

Inevitablue - if they use cultured cells does the dog have to have immunosuppressant drugs, and is there any difference apart from the fact that the dog doesn't need an opeartion to harvest fat first? Thanks :)

No, as pure mesenchymal stem cells are immuno privileged, they don't trigger the immune system. They really are multi functional cells.

The difference is, apart from the dog not having to have a 4-6inch scar, the cultured system is just pure stem cells. Harvesting the fat produces a mix of cells, with on average (depending on age) 30% stem cells. Hence why that system cannot transfer between dogs.

As stem cells are finite, just like the entire body, we believe it makes sense to take cells from a young healthy dog, whose cells have not been through multiple mitotic divisions.

We did a Bull Mastiff two weeks ago, severe arthritis in the hips, and now already he is vastly improved. I need to start taking before and after videos! :) His two hips cost $1100 - final cost to the owner :thumbsup:

That's great news, thanks!

We have made the cells even cheaper now, so the cost can be even lower than the $1500 - $3000, obviously depending on investigative work your vet might have already performed (ie x rays).

Are these stem cells being used for any other joint conditions? I have only done a bit of research, but I only found cases of bilateral cruciate ligament disease in horses that were treated using stem cells.

Are these stem cells being used for any other joint conditions? I have only done a bit of research, but I only found cases of bilateral cruciate ligament disease in horses that were treated using stem cells.

Our main trial vet has used the cells for partial cruciate tears, but each case is subjective. I can't see it ever being recommended as a potential for repairing cruciates. Some dogs have now gone a year and it appears that the cruciate has repaired, but not perfectly.

If a dog has a 20% tear, and is not used for performance sports and is a bit of a lounge lizard, then the cells could prove very beneficial.

Used as an adjunct therapy for cruciate repairs, the cells are fantastic. Accelerate healing, repair any meniscus damage which might have happen when the injury occurred. If I was paying for a TPLO etc, even a DeAngelis repair I'd pay a bit more for a single dose of stem cells to be put in at the time of surgery.

Osteoarthritis is the main focus in dogs, but some of the soft tissue and bone work that has occurred in horses will easily transcribe over to dogs.

Another big potential for their use is in fracture repair. Again, a single dose during surgery will promote a stronger, quicker repair. People with shattered feet have been slowly jogging again within 3 weeks. It's almost scary!

Edited by Inevitablue

• 1 month later...

I'm interested in getting this done for my 7 year old Labrador - anyone in Melbourne had it done? Recommendations on Melbourne vets?

I had my boy treated with stem cell. Results so far are looking good. For vets in Victoria ring this guy, he helped set my appointment up. 1800 633 483