Downloading Video Nikon 5100

rexiam

After about 15 years of deliberating....I don't rush into things :laugh: I went out and bought myself a 40th Birthday present a Nikon 5100.

I have been really good as my Birthday is not to the 22nd and I have only had a very little play with it. I have taken some photos and video and today went to download it onto my computer. Now the video I took comes up on the thumbnails and when I click on it it says unsupported file type. I am really over video. I have 10 years worth of kids on my video camera and I can't get them off the computer either. :banghead: This is enough to send me crazy! i feel like a computer failure :(

Its really depressing. i can't seem to find any info on what I have done wrong :( is there any savvy Nikon person out there who can help me.

:)

Thanks !

There should be a disk with your camera. On that disk should be video software that you need to download onto your computer. If you stick the disk in the software should self-install (you may need to click "I agree" and "yes" a few times). Then when you plug your camera in to your computer, that software should automagically launch and prompt you on how to get stuff from camera to computer.

There should be a disk with your camera. On that disk should be video software that you need to download onto your computer. If you stick the disk in the software should self-install (you may need to click "I agree" and "yes" a few times). Then when you plug your camera in to your computer, that software should automagically launch and prompt you on how to get stuff from camera to computer.

Yes, I did all of that and got the photos and video off camera and onto computer. I even uninstalled it and then reinstalled it in case I did something wrong. It just wouldn't let me see the video. All the photos were there.

Shell I did download quicktime and I can see the movies now :thanks::worship:

How can I get the movies off the computer and onto something so we can watch it on TV or just so that I can put it onto something so the computer is not getting filled up with photos and video? Do I need to but a program? I am hoping this may help me with the other video stuff I have on the computer?

You can burn to viewable DVD in something like i-movie (on mac) or nero. I'm not sure what settings to use though - I've never just taken a raw movie and done it. All of my stuff is converted, then edited and then converted again.

Thanks for the advice Shell. What do you mean about all of your stuff being converted?? I think I need to do a whole lot more researching!! :eek:

You can burn to viewable DVD in something like i-movie (on mac) or nero. I'm not sure what settings to use though - I've never just taken a raw movie and done it. All of my stuff is converted, then edited and then converted again.

Thanks for the advice Shell. What do you mean about all of your stuff being converted?? I think I need to do a whole lot more researching!! :eek:

Oh sorry! I edit in final cut pro - which doesn't handle h.264 particularly well because it's compressed. I convert it to apple prores 422 which is an uncompressed file type and then edit with that, then export it out of final cut, usually back into an h.264 so i can upload to the net :)

I only do it like that because I'm a producer/editor so everything i shoot is made to be edited. My work flow is overly complicated for someone who just wants to shoot some video :)

Oh sorry! I edit in final cut pro - which doesn't handle h.264 particularly well because it's compressed. I convert it to apple prores 422 which is an uncompressed file type and then edit with that, then export it out of final cut, usually back into an h.264 so i can upload to the net :)

I only do it like that because I'm a producer/editor so everything i shoot is made to be edited. My work flow is overly complicated for someone who just wants to shoot some video :)

:rofl: You lost me at the first paragraph. :laugh: