Teaching Drive In A Dog With None

emery

I am helping train a pup who is so slack lol, he has no motivation not interest in food or toys i tried today. he is 7 months old.

Is there a way i can teach drive i want to get this dog reved up so he will run and not lag he is a show dog.

how do i do it?

have you had him checked for pain by a chiro? If there is no pain then he's too well fed and too spoiled ;) why work when you dont have to! Try the flirt pole and cut back feeding on training days to next to nothing.

Yep, all dogs have food drive. Just stop feeding for a meal or two then see if his interest in food increases ;) . It could be the treats you are using too, you may need to play around a little to find what works best.

Prey drive is genetic. You can build and develop what you have (and most dogs have something!), but you can't put in what isn't there to start off with.

Ok what is a flirt pole???

He is regularly seen by chiro and bowen as that was my first thought.

he is very lazy lol will work for food for about 30 seconds then is over it lol even the ultiamte sausage only gets attention for a few minutes

he is in love with a woolen mit but again loses interest i can rev him up with it get him all worked up go to run him and he shuts down.

i help with his mum and sister and i know the father they all have drive i wish his sister could share hers as she is go go go.

he is very lazy lol will work for food for about 30 seconds then is over it lol even the ultiamte sausage only gets attention for a few minutes

he is in love with a woolen mit but again loses interest i can rev him up with it get him all worked up go to run him and he shuts down.

Work him for a shorter time at a higher intensity and then build up - don't let him get to the point where he shuts down. It takes time - my boy has taken me almost 5 years to get to the point where I'm happy with him.

Work him for a shorter time at a higher intensity and then build up - don't let him get to the point where he shuts down. It takes time - my boy has taken me almost 5 years to get to the point where I'm happy with him.

I agree with this. Stop when the dog is at a high point - even if that is 5 seconds in.

Some dogs are just not naturally into a lot of play, you have to teach them it's ok!! :)

Is this your own dog? Does the dog perform better for the owner?

Make sure he's hungry and you could try tethering him and playing with another dog in front of him. Tether the other dog nearby, release him and if he shows any interaction, interest, perky ears, reward. As others have said, keep it really brief. Two food game can also create interest, use chunks of food easily seen by dog. You could try dragging the toy on a line for pup to chase, creating some distance between you and the toy. Some dogs feel a little pressured if you are too close to the toy or food. Make sure you keep your own attitude bright, happy and don't allow any frustration to creep in because the dog will sense it quickly.

Some dogs are just not naturally into a lot of play, you have to teach them it's ok!! :)

Make sure he's hungry and you could try tethering him and playing with another dog in front of him. Tether the other dog nearby, release him and if he shows any interaction, interest, perky ears, reward. As others have said, keep it really brief. Two food game can also create interest, use chunks of food easily seen by dog. You could try dragging the toy on a line for pup to chase, creating some distance between you and the toy. Some dogs feel a little pressured if you are too close to the toy or food. Make sure you keep your own attitude bright, happy and don't allow any frustration to creep in because the dog will sense it quickly.

No this isn't my dog i show him for the owner. He doesn't run any better for her or her partner he is just as slack as we thought he might work better for a male or something.

On show days he doesn't get fed or fed the night before still doesn't really work.

When i work him at his house he is all go go go i actually tape my shoulder as it is injured but as soon as he leaves his property he has no interest.

I will try all these tips thankyou and thankyou for explaining a flirt pole we use them at specialties :D

No this isn't my dog i show him for the owner. He doesn't run any better for her or her partner he is just as slack as we thought he might work better for a male or something.

On show days he doesn't get fed or fed the night before still doesn't really work.

When i work him at his house he is all go go go i actually tape my shoulder as it is injured but as soon as he leaves his property he has no interest.

I will try all these tips thankyou and thankyou for explaining a flirt pole we use them at specialties :D

after hearing that i would start taking him to random places/parks, and just playing and offering jackpots, when he starts to feel comfortable, introduce one or 2 commands, then back to fun, fun, fun. would only take 5 mins, then back home. teach him when we leave the yard, we are going to have fun! :) slowly build the amount of commands/duration and eventually try a ring run-out, then jackpot?

this is just what i have been doing with my girl in new places as she has similar issues. its working well :)

Thanks for the thread Emery. :thumbsup:

Sounds just like my dog. He's not motivated by food either and is not over fed as I can still see his ribs after upping his food to 3x what he was getting over 3 meals.

He is a slug in the showring and won't even put his ears up. I have had a long chat with the breeder and will be trying new things.

If anyone else has input, would love to hear too.

after hearing that i would start taking him to random places/parks, and just playing and offering jackpots, when he starts to feel comfortable, introduce one or 2 commands, then back to fun, fun, fun. would only take 5 mins, then back home. teach him when we leave the yard, we are going to have fun! :) slowly build the amount of commands/duration and eventually try a ring run-out, then jackpot?

this is just what i have been doing with my girl in new places as she has similar issues. its working well :)

Thankyou krustie I will try this :D