Cost Of Show Handling

vesper12

In the USA I know of, from a Forum, a person who owns golden retreivers. The golden retreivers go on circuit with professional show handlers and attend heaps of shows for months at a time. I am presuming that they are paid for their work. I would miss my guys too much

I have seen professional handlers at Gunnedah, or been told they are professional handlers but have no idea of cost or anything.

A few years ago I asked a friend of mine who had Geoff Corish handle her young bitch - he met her ringside and did a bit of final trimming/tidying up and in the class - that cost her £40 and it would go up from there depending on what was won. Not bad for 10 - 15 minutes work!

• 6 months later...

Hi!

It's me again :) . Thank you for your posts.

Now I am looking for a handler for Giant Schnauzer (junior class), we would like to show him from august. As I do not know many people in show world I need a help in my searching. May be someone would like to try to show him?. Please send all your questions into my PM. Thanks!

Some Augusts I am away from melb otherwise I could help as I like to get experience handling different breeds.

I too would like to enlist a Junior handler sometimes to handle my dogs so I can see what they look like but I can't seem

to get anyone wanting a rare breed.

Good luck in your search.

BB

Some Augusts I am away from melb otherwise I could help as I like to get experience handling different breeds.

I too would like to enlist a Junior handler sometimes to handle my dogs so I can see what they look like but I can't seem

to get anyone wanting a rare breed.

Good luck in your search.

BB

Rare breeds are generally easy to find handlers, we have a great lot of Juniors who handle the dogs ( Xoloitzcuintle) and I have some adults who handle, but I do find the Juniors really enjoy a chance at a rare breed, my only stipulation to handle my dogs is that you are NOT a face!!

I give the handlers what they win, but would glady pay for the services if needed. I feel a bit humbled when people thank me for letting them handle the dogs ( they are doing me a HUGE favour) I think most do it for the love.

Vesper12

I have handled a Giant Schnauzer before (like 10 years ago lol) and would be happy to give it a go if you cant find anyone. I rarely show away from KCC Park though but would be happy to help you out- drop me a PM with your email addy and Ill get in contact with you

And yes- just for the experience :) I quite like the breed, just never see enough of them :)

I would love to know how to get someone to handle my dog.. I'm new to it all (have dobes) my other dobe friends all handle their own dogs mainly in the same classes so cant take my girl.. I'm terrible and I'd rather not waste show entry fees showing her myself because it makes her look bad. Ive practised but I still must look like "new meat" and I honestly just want my girl to be seen in the best light possible. I would have no trouble paying a handler but its just finding one that is the trouble? any suggestions? I have an add on dogzonline but alas, no interest :(

I would love to know how to get someone to handle my dog.. I'm new to it all (have dobes) my other dobe friends all handle their own dogs mainly in the same classes so cant take my girl.. I'm terrible and I'd rather not waste show entry fees showing her myself because it makes her look bad. Ive practised but I still must look like "new meat" and I honestly just want my girl to be seen in the best light possible. I would have no trouble paying a handler but its just finding one that is the trouble? any suggestions? I have an add on dogzonline but alas, no interest :(

Most people who will do it that well will be choosy about which dogs they take on. Are you confident your girl is high enough quality to regularly win in your local competition?

I think part of the whole business of showing is just accepting that there are going to be times when you look out of your depth, stuff it up etc. I'm also in a competitive breed with some gun handlers and I'm not a natural. If you're going to progress you have to cut out all that noise in your head and just work away in your own little bubble with good advice from people outside your breed/group/state. You can improve.

Most people who will do it that well will be choosy about which dogs they take on. Are you confident your girl is high enough quality to regularly win in your local competition?

I think part of the whole business of showing is just accepting that there are going to be times when you look out of your depth, stuff it up etc. I'm also in a competitive breed with some gun handlers and I'm not a natural. If you're going to progress you have to cut out all that noise in your head and just work away in your own little bubble with good advice from people outside your breed/group/state. You can improve.

Don't know about where you are, but at my home club they just yell out novice handler so the judge understands why I might be a bit awkward or not get the dog stacked especially quickly. I'm showing in neuter so I suppose I don't feel heaps of pressure to be perfect, but I think most of the sense of achievment when he has been in a best in show line up (not that I've won) is from showing him myself.

After my last 5 shows I actually have had a great time suiting up and everything and really enjoyed myself, wouldn't dream of handing the lead to anyone else and soon I will get to be showing two!

I am very confident in her, have been studying for years and when my last show bitches bite went wrong I studied even harder and waited so long for this litter. I have a friend that would show her but she only goes to about 3 shows a year (distance) another friend has a minor puppy bitch this year too so shes out. I am confident in her ability to beat other dogs and I am the most critical judge of her. I went in myself the other week and hated it. I'm not interested in showing at all but I want my girl to title or at least try to title her (or another bitch if she is not worthy or healthy at adulthood) before I consider any future breeding plans as ultimately, I want to create the ultimate American dobe and unfortunately there is noone in Australia breeding the type of dobe I like, the type of dobe that conforms, in my eyes, best to the standard (she is from NZ). Any way I admire people that do it themselves I just wish there were professional handlers.. what about if people cant run or are injured? is it just who you know? She definetely wouldnt embaress anyone thats for sure, the only thing embaressing about her is me... and it sucks.

• 4 months later...

My suggestion - be nice to people. I've had wonderful people from my group help me in the run off with two of my own dogs. They don't ask for anything, but a thankyou and a lot of praise helps. I gave a bottle of Baileys to one helper because she really went out of her way and she had so many of her own dogs to show. You'll always find heaps of people willing to help. Even I have been asked, and I'm bollocks at it.

Edited by doberoo