Schipperkes, Oh My!

Blackdogs

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too have just acquired a Schipp pup! As a current Belgian Shepherd owner I would have to agree they're just like a mini-Belgian, and he sure gives my Groenendael a run for her $. Only 12 weeks old, and already guarding, won't leave my side, although is very brave for a little guy. I take him for walks to the park and beach with my Belgian - he is VERY responsive and he doesn't "run off" at all. I've read that analogy in a US book on the breed, that may be where the breeder go that one from.

If anyone wants to know the breeder I got mine from they have three male pups currently for sale, not yet weaned. Absolutely fantastic breeder to deal with, and well-bred, healthy pups.

Some dogs carry the 'natural bob-tail' gene. The dogs that carry the full tail gene are more prevalent now because breeders these days don't necessarily select for the bob-tail gene as much as they did in the past!

And as they say, a big dog in a small body!!

Congratulations! A little and a big Belgian! How cute. I also have a black Kelpie and she looks just like a miniaturised version of him.

I honestly can't see the whole running off and never coming back thing ever happening with any of the ones I've met. They seem too loyal for that.

I met one once - a gorgeous little fella happy as anything - unfortunately it was through my Pets at Peace job, he was about to be PTS as he had been declared a dangerous dog and his owners could not afford the fines nor the cost of building the pen to keep him in. He had dug a hole under the fence and killed the neighbours rabbit.

So he was declared a dangerous dog for simply being a dog. Very sad.

I love Schipperkes.... I looked into getting one but I like wash and wear dogs too much :laugh:

I do too, that's why I got one. There really isn't any coat maintenance. I don't really think of them as a fluffy breed, they might have thicker coats than a JRT, but it's not long and doesn't shed a ton. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the fraternity Blackdogs.

I have met your pups breeder a couple of years ago. I too have these Black devils.

Kosmology,I think I know of your pups breeder too, your pups may be related to mine somewhere along the line.

I would Schipps are a wash & wear breed as I only bath mine perhaps three times a year and NO DOGGY ODOUR. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Please join in the sub breed thread for Schipps.

DandyBrush, check out the Schipp profiles on the breed pages here and you will see quite a variety of them.

BB

Thanks. Why aren't these dogs as popular as JRTs? I don't get it.

They can be abit stubborn and not listen to commands but they should come back to you, especially if you have food treats for them. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BB

LOL. I don't like the term 'stubborn' I prefer 'determined'. If she is focused on doing something it can be hard to deter her. Fortunately that level of focus and determination seems to be able to be efficiently channeled into other more productive areas most of the time. :thumbsup:

Schipps are fantastic little dogs, my OH had GSD's and Dobes before we got together and will only have schipps now :thumbsup:

They are very wash and wear and do not drop coat all the time like many of the short coat breeds and they can be obedience trained easily. Our old boy got his CD many years ago and was doing well in CDX until his sight started to diminish and he was retired then. Our little brain damaged girl got two passes in novice as well before becoming unable to continue. We used to have roosters wandering around and the schipps never touched them, can't say the same for the eagles or foxes though :laugh: Schipps are VERY smart dogs and learn quickly. We start teaching our puppies to come the minute they can get around so all are good at coming when called. We do a lot of initial training between the ages of four and eight weeks but the pups don't realise they are getting training :D

They are a very special breed, got to love them.

The certainly have high entertainment value! :laugh:

I too am fortunate enough to own one of these fantastic little dogs. Taz is the easiest dog to train to do anything

with, has never been a problem or really got into any trouble.

Hes not very friendly to other dogs or people but very loyal to the immediate family, but strangly enough he likes cats. The hair is something you just get used to

as it wafts across the floor and i find it in the strangest places.

I dont think i would be without a schipp, such happy little chaps with a big personality.

Aside from comments on whether she is a fox or a miniature German Shepherd, the most common other observation by strangers is that she has a 'big personality'. They really do! :D

They still have the instinct to hunt vermin.

I've read they were considered a 'terrier' back in the day.

Personality wise, they seem like a mix between a bull breed, a herding dog and a terrier. Determination, courage, prey drive, agility, intelligence, gameness and tough as nails with the humour of a ADHD afflicted clown. :thumbsup::laugh:

I love Schipperkes.... I looked into getting one but I like wash and wear dogs too much :laugh:

I do too, that's why I got one. There really isn't any coat maintenance. I don't really think of them as a fluffy breed, they might have thicker coats than a JRT, but it's not long and doesn't shed a ton. :thumbsup:

When I was looking at them that wasn't the impression I got - this is from the DOL breed profile:

Care / Grooming

The Schipperke is very clean and pretty much takes care of its own grooming, but to keep the medium-length double coat in top condition, comb and brush regularly with a firm bristle brush. Dry shampoo when necessary. They shed very little until the coat "blows" which can be as often as 3 times a year on bitches. Less so on males and spayed bitches, especially as they age. This coat change is a sudden drop of ALL undercoat within about a 10 day period. One owner states "I've pulled out up to two shopping bags full of soft down hair out of one 12 pound Schip! I find it easier and quicker to give them a hot bath then force air the coat two or three times during this week (always outside!) to get rid of all the loose, itchy hair before the dog leaves it all over the house. A groomer could do this for the person without a force dryer. They are literally naked and butt ugly for about 2-3 months, depending on the time of year and how much time they spend outside, for the hair to come back to a new lustrous coat."

But as I say - if it has undercoat and needs combing and brushing it's not wash & wear to me :laugh: It's all what you are used to really :D Both my Tentie and Mannie have very very thin short single coats.

I do love the Schips though and wish there were some around over here.

I too have just acquired a Schipp pup! As a current Belgian Shepherd owner I would have to agree they're just like a mini-Belgian, and he sure gives my Groenendael a run for her $. Only 12 weeks old, and already guarding, won't leave my side, although is very brave for a little guy. I take him for walks to the park and beach with my Belgian - he is VERY responsive and he doesn't "run off" at all. I've read that analogy in a US book on the breed, that may be where the breeder go that one from.

If anyone wants to know the breeder I got mine from they have three male pups currently for sale, not yet weaned. Absolutely fantastic breeder to deal with, and well-bred, healthy pups.

Some dogs carry the 'natural bob-tail' gene. The dogs that carry the full tail gene are more prevalent now because breeders these days don't necessarily select for the bob-tail gene as much as they did in the past!

And as they say, a big dog in a small body!!

Congratulations! A little and a big Belgian! How cute. I also have a black Kelpie and she looks just like a miniaturised version of him.

I honestly can't see the whole running off and never coming back thing ever happening with any of the ones I've met. They seem too loyal for that.

One of the main reasons I was attracted to the breed was because when I saw my first Schipperke (at a dog beach a number of years ago)I thought "Wow, a mini-Spike!". Spike was my beloved black Kelpie/Samoyed, who was approximately 5 years old at the time. She lived to the ripe old age of 16 1/2. When I lost Spike, I purchased my rescue Belgian pup (2 weeks later!) who happened to be available at the shelter on the day I went there (I went there to look at Kelpie x pups). I then considered a friend for her. Schipps were at the top of the list a year or so later, when I discovered "mini-Spikes" were in fact Schipps - after I again spotted the breed, and spoke to the breeder, at a NSW show. I patiently waited for the right opportunity to purchase one, and couldn't be happier :thumbsup:

Yes, the loyalty thing in Schipps seems very ingrained. What a shame some people give out the wrong info'. After all, ANY breed of dog can "run off", depends on a number of factors! I had a GSP (Katydid) who often did exactly that (even when I was home), but I was the third owner by the time she was 5mths, and I was only 17yo - so didn't know about formal training etc. That's how I lost her in the end. When she was 3yo she ran off one night when I wasn't home, and disappeared (in country Victoria) :cry:

Run off :rofl: generally you can't even go to the loo without them wanting to be with you :laugh:

All of ours go for a run down the back twice a day and usually they are waiting at the gate to come back in before I even finish the poo patrol :)