Lead Training

shags

Hi all,

I have a 10.5 week old Staffy named Shanti. She is beautiful and seems very smart and is learning and developing very well. However, the one thing she just does not like is walking on a lead. She got used to her collar fast and has no problems. We put the lead on her for abour half an hour a day and let her walk around with it on. Half the time she will have it in her mouth, chewing it, as she loves chewing things, but has ample toys. The other half of the time she doesnt seeem to care about it. But if we pick the lead up, thats when she objects and backs away and just will not walk with us. We are trying the methods that are well published (ie use a treat to distract her and have her looking up). This can work when we havnt got hold of lead, but once we don grab the lead, that is her sole focus and she just will not budge or back away. She really seems quite offended.

I have heard that the lead can be spryed with a bitter substance that she will not like? Not sure about this? This may help with chewing the lead but I cant see that it will help with the resisiting to walk. Does anyone have any sugsestions. We are approaching four days off and we can put in some solid time to try and make her happy on the lead. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Ps: She comemnced pre puppy school last night which was hilarious. Out of 8 dogs she is the only dog who resist the lead?

Thanks

Eamonn

I'm sure others with more experience than me will have some ideas, but I would have the lead on more than 30mins if she is not getting over it, and maybe hold onto it the whole time rather than letting her play with it. Play with her toys on the lead or just sit around holding onto the lead, or walk her to her dinner with the lead. I think the main thing is don't reward her for not coming by patting and talking to her, just ignore her until she stops resisting and then praise with food, play or whatever floats her boat.

I had my pup from 3 months and he already walked on the lead, but while he was inside I often had him on lead in the house walking around with me while I did things.

Good luck

Some of my Staffs have behaved like total monsters on leads to start with so I know what it's like

I've never been a fan of the let them drag the lead around method and I wonder if she thinks the lead is her toy and doesn't like it when you "take" her toy.

Me, I would change the lead to something completely different and use this one ONLY when you are holding it. Even if that means just using a piece of string rather than buying a new lead.

Before her meal times, get her food in one place, pick her up, put the lead on her and plonk her down beside you, hold on to the lead while you prepare her food (even if this is just putting biscuits in a bowl), walk off with her bowl in one hand and the leash in the other. If she resists walk one or two paces further (extend your arm) and put the bowl down. If your puppy doesn't immediately rush forward to eat she's broken :laugh: If this doesn't work, pick up the bowl put it on the bench, unclip the lead and walk off. Try again 10 minutes later, then 10 minutes later etc etc etc. Unless she is really defective she will eventually get the message. At this stage be careful not to put any pressure on her neck while she's pulling backwards as that only encourages her to pull back more.

Don't make walking on a lead a big deal or a special thing, just make it something she has to do if she wants to get her meals.

While you're trying to teach this don't give her treats or tit bits between meals for ANY reason - make your voice or a special toy an exciting reward for toilet training and other things just for now.

If she gets the idea walk one or two paces further the next time, then leave it at that distance for a meal or two, then another step or two. In between times don't even put the other lead on her, just make meals and the lead get associated.

Assuming she's not a total cow (and yes, some of them are!) within a couple of days she will have figured out that you're not trying to kill her when you put a lead on her and you can go back to getting her to walk for treats in different places.

Thanks for replies and advice. I think you may be onto something in regard to not just letting the lead hang on her as she might take ownership a little? Also with your quoted advice above what is meant by "If your puppy doesn't immediately rush forward to eat she's broken". Wouldnt we want her to rush or move forward?

Also do you think a harness would be worth a go as this is connected more at the shoulder blades and not the neck and may be more hidden form her?

Also with your quoted advice above what is meant by "If your puppy doesn't immediately rush forward to eat she's broken". Wouldnt we want her to rush or move forward?

Sorry shags, the broken Stafford joke is an old one around here. Staffords that don't do this that or something else are "broken" (as in not functioning properly). Yes, you want her to rush or move forward :)

Also do you think a harness would be worth a go as this is connected more at the shoulder blades and not the neck and may be more hidden form her?

Personally I don't like harnesses on Staffords but that's up to you. I would give her a chance and see how she goes first, if you put her in a harness and she still refuses to move and pulls back there's a lot more of her body exposed to the unpleasant sensation of material pulling on her skin, which could make everything even worse.

Patience is the key - and if she is really stubborn then just totally stop trying to lead train her for 7-10 days, and teach her to follow you reliably off leash (safely behind a fence of course) and perhaps sit or lie down or some trick, then go back to the leash or you could end up with a dog that decides that it doesn't want to do anything at all for you because the "only" thing you ever do involves a leash she obviously has a thing about.

To be honest, I really wouldn't worry about her being on the lead yet. Wait until she can go out for a walk and drive to somewhere interesting (for her) and let her wonder about with you following and holding the lead. Once she is happy to do this, you can then start to encorage her to move with you in the directions you choose.

How is she with collar grabs? It may not be the lead but the pressure on her neck that she is resisting.

Sorry if you have already done this but if not grab her collar and shove a small high value treat in her mouth. Start with very gentle pressure and immediate treats then slowly build up to having her pull forward into collar to reach the treat. The trick is to keep it positive - pressure on the lead/collar must equal good things.

Good luck.

Edited by RubyBlue

Guest donatella

Give it time, my pup took a few weeks I thought we were never going to be able to go for walks at one stage but with a little time, persistence and her maturing we finally got it. I think it's an age thing, 10.5 weeks is still a tiny baby

Some walk no trouble some just don't.

One way to stop the lead chewing/messing is to position the collar so the lead is at the back of her neck & try walking with a short lead held up gently. Go slow at first. Not so easy to get to behind her head.

I never do the lead on trailing thing. Mine go either in the front garden or off my premises, depending on age & vaccs. The lead goes on & its walk or we just stand here bored. They usually move soon & get praise but a few are so stubborn.

My little Katy is just 4 months old & last week was the first time she has walked more than a few steps on the lead. Sheer bloody persistence paid off eventually. Most are easier than that.

Thanks everyone for the responses. We bought a harness and have ventured to a quite park for some quick 10 -15 minute walks and not stopping for her to smell or chew grass. A little naughty as she is not fully vaccinayed but at puppy pre-school the vet was happy for all the dogs on their grass which i know is inhabited by 100 of dogs a week, so we thought the risk must be very very low.

She is walking much better out in the open and on the harness with the lead more at her shoulder blades. The distractions and shear openess is whats helping.

I presume very soon I will be on here asking how I stop a dog from pulling on the lead?? "Such is Life"

keep the pup on a collar or you make a rod for your own back. Collars help in control down the track, if the dog doesnt like it I just go, tough, this is how life is and they get over it quickly. The more you pander to their protests and try and bribe them the more some little monsters think 'cool this is what I do for attention'. I just start wandering around with some treats and let the pup throw it's little fit. I just keep walking and if they stop, little jiggles and pops on the lead ignoring them until they start following. They get rewarded when they hang around me and I find I dont have the problems of lagging or pulling.

It now appears we have a puppy who can now walk quite happily on her lead. The harness is comfortable and she has had some good walks and fun at puppy pre-school, which gave her so much distratction, she now understands that the lead is not a toy and is not something to be scared of.

Now....what will be next I wonder?