Wwyd - Rescue Dog Vs Pedigree Pup

AlanMatic

However; pedigree means a better window into the future, health & temperament wise.

I've only read your post, but there is no question in my mind. Cost is irrelevant to me, but if I were happy with the lines the pup came from I would take on a pup any day of the week.

I have only total admiration for rescuers and some of the stories are amazing, but for me I will only ever (never saying never) look for pedigree dogs from known 'families' in the future.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We've been suitably matched with a rescue dog of the breed we are seeking, the dog sounds great and truly what we are looking for. With any "older" (non-pup) canine addition to our home, it would help for them to be sociable due to our livestock, kids etc and this dog sounds promising on that front also. This dog is also of a similar age to our resident boy.

However... of late we have also been considering a pedigree pup (of same breed) and had become pretty excited about it. The pup in question has not even been born yet and no deposit has been made although we have already become emotionally attached to the idea. But puppies are so much work! However; pedigree means a better window into the future, health & temperament wise.

Due to the rescue dog being located interstate and needing vet work the costs for each are similar.

What would you do?

Actually if the rescue dog is an adult then you know more about their health status and their temperament than you do about a puppy :)

You can get adult dogs with pedigrees......ones that have been returned to their breeder, or their owners can't keep them for whatever reason and they are looking for a new home. Also breeders sometimes rehome ex-breeding or show dogs, or younger adults they've run on and deiced aren't what they need for their breeding program. If you want an adult dog, you can still have one with a pedigree and that might be the best outcome of all.