Poultice

So l noticed my boy was a bit ginger on his near side front leg today and on inspection he has a little pea side lump between his toes, l am thinking he picked a grass seed up, l checked him yesterday morning before obedience and all paws were fine and he was fine before going to bed lastnight. l have washed it in warm salty water twice but can not get in to see the vet until tomorrow morning. l am wondering if putting a poultice on it might help suck the seed out and where l can get one/ make one. There is a little bit of puss but no hole that l can see :(

My young son had a a piece of a bush (similar to a long thorn) inbeded in his calf and while we thought the Dr may have to open and then stitch the leg but she was very reluctant to do so and suggested trying a poltice as first option. Must admit we walked away shaking our heads but to our amazement the item came to the surface after a few days and was expelled without any invasive procedure. Very simple poltice but didn't have immediate results - guess it also depends on how deep the item is. Don't know if it would successful on dogs but I guess you could give it a try. All you do it take a piece of white bread dip it in white sugar place on the site and bind it in place. From memory (few years ago now) we changed it twice a day.

Could it be a papaloma???

Ichthammol Ointment from the chemist will draw out infections and foreign bodies.

Can be used on people, dogs, cats or horses. I don't know how anyone lives without it in their medicine cabinet.

Edited by dancinbcs

love the stuff, I use either the TuffRock poultice or SwellDown. Both are available from stock feeds/saddleries etc slather it on really thick then wrap with some gladwrap overnight. Works like a charm just wash off in the morning.

used it on OHs haematoma when he decimated his calf muscle, doctors could not believe how much faster the swelling and bleeding went down.

Ichthammol Ointment from the chemist will draw out infections and foreign bodies.

Can be used on people, dogs, cats or horses. I don't know how anyone lives without it in their medicine cabinet.

anyone know where i can find ichthammol ointment? I went to the chemist yesterday looking for it as i thought it might help the lump on my dogs lip. The pharmacist said they only had an egoderm cream that had 1% ichthammol in it. She suggested magnoplasm but i wasn't sure if this could be used on dogs?

I have used magnoplasm on dogs and horses,

Years ago I saw a poultice made from epsom salts and zinc cream. Worked very very well and saved a dogs toe as it had a nasty infection that just antibiotics couldn't get on top of completely.

You can also soak the foot in epsom salts and water. You just have to be able to keep their foot in it!