Earthdog

Really excited to say that all the submissions made for the Earthdog Rules review have been accepted and will be implemented January 2012. It has been quite a lot of work over the last few years but really really worth it for the sport.

http://www.ankc.org.au/media/scripts/doc_download.aspx?did=1247

The key changes are:

1. Earthdog Instinct Certificate (EIC) a new titling class that replaces the Introduction to Quarry non-titling class

2. Master Earthdog Excellent (MEX) a new title beyond the ME title for top dogs to continue on with after they get their ME

3. Liners can now be placed on top of the ground and camouflaged rather than set in trenches. This means that earthdog tests can conceivably be conducted anywhere and opens up the sport enormously

All three of these key changes will impact the sport positively and aid in growth and enjoyment, so we are looking forward to 2012 :D

Great stuff Toshman.

If I had the time and energy I have a little dog that would LOVE this sport. He has only been here for two weeks and I reckon he knows where every rabbit hole is already. I haven't let him investigate too much because of the snake risk and because I have no desire to have to grab a shovel and dig him out of it (he's pretty small).

Shaz

Thanks Shaz, we're really looking forward to the season starting in May next year.

I'm pleased for Tosh as it will give him something to work towards again - he's had his Master title for several years with nothing more to gain and now he can try for his MEX ????

Pity you're so far away from Erskine Park - the little chap sounds ideal!

• 7 months later...

Being a border collie person, I have never had anything to do with Earthdog stuff. But, we have an associate register terrier here who I suspect would be great at it and Id love to find out more about the sport. We live on a property and she is always looking for rabbit holes, she is just a terrier through and through LOL Her tenacity drives me nuts :laugh:

I've read through the rules but want someone to put it in plain english for me :) From what I can work out, in a nutshell she would need to:

- Enter the EIC class (as she is AR) where she has to go through some sort of small scented tunnel leading to a cage with something smelly in it. Then she needs to dig/scratch/bark at it for 30secs? Am I on the right track?

Living near Canberra makes it hard to get up for any training days. What would be the chances of her succeeding if we were to just enter a trial without exposing her to it first? She will happily follow a trail, no matter how faint and has no fear of small spaces, especially if there is something smelly at the other end :) Would it be too much to ask of her or is it pretty instinctual once you get them in there?

Delta we took amber the lakie baby in with one training day under her belt and she passed her EIC no sweat alot of it is instinctual but a dog who's able to work in small places is an advantage! Next time OH and I are at an agility comp have a chat with him as that's his sport lol!! Hoping to get her Novice underway before end of the year