News Stories On Recent Bsl Changes

Leema

Hi.

I'm looking for some news articles.

I remember reading about a dog that was PTS by a vet because it met the description of a pittie. The vet's account was posted on Facebook and is spread like nothing else, and she spoke at a rally (?) about it. Can you please link me to anything about this story?

I also remember reading about many dogs being released onto the streets as the amnesty ended. Though I have little faith this actually occured, I would love to have the article linked.

I am writing BSL letters again, so if there's anything that has happened in Victoria since Ayen Chol's tragic death, that you think may be relevant, please link here.

Hi.

I remember reading about a dog that was PTS by a vet because it met the description of a pittie. The vet's account was posted on Facebook and is spread like nothing else, and she spoke at a rally (?) about it. Can you please link me to anything about this story?

I also remember reading about many dogs being released onto the streets as the amnesty ended. Though I have little faith this actually occured, I would love to have the article linked.

I am writing BSL letters again, so if there's anything that has happened in Victoria since Ayen Chol's tragic death, that you think may be relevant, please link here.

Dr Karen Davies has described how “for the first time in 20 years I am questioning if I still want to do this job” euthanasing a sweet natured dog that unfortunately met the current description of a ‘pit bull’.

So, why didn't the vet declare that the dog wasn't a restricted breed and saved his life when the legislation accepts breed identification from a vet?

Edited by Kippy

Hi.

Dr Karen Davies has described how “for the first time in 20 years I am questioning if I still want to do this job” euthanasing a sweet natured dog that unfortunately met the current description of a ‘pit bull’.

So, why didn't the vet declare that the dog wasn't a restricted breed and saved his life when the legislation accepts breed identification from a vet?

The story goes: if a vet did declare a dog as 'not a pit bull', and the dog bit someone, then the vet may be liable.

I can't see how anyone could hold the vet liable. Just because a dog isn't a Pitbull doesn't mean it can't bite....

But legally if a dogs owner asks for the dog to be PTS then the vet has to do it, it is not in their power to then turn around and not follow through on the owners request. There would be repercussions for that if ever found out.

• 2 months later...

Probably not exactly what you're after Leema, but there's an article on pit bulls in today's (Saturday) 'Good Weekend' magazine liftout in the Sydney Morning Herald and The Age. It's actually quite positive and there are a small number of statistics included, although not specifically related to Victoria. There are interviews with Michael Linke (who runs the ACT branch of the RSPCA)and his pittie girl Dahlia, as well as several other pittie owners in other areas.

Hi.

I think in the case of this dog, it was either a stray, or surrendered. I think it was a stray. The council had already deemed it to be a restricted breed, and without the owner fighting that charge, there would be not much a vet can do about it.

The Vic Standard has recently been changed. Where as before, it was worded that a vet could certify as to the breed of a dog, it now says that a vet can certify that the dog is an Amstaff. This was changed about 2 weeks ago. Tightening the regs.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it is that she accepts that it meets the description of a PBT but she is uneasy euthanising it considering it is a well natured, loving dog. I would not be able to do something like that, even if i had to walk away from the industry. It is murder, no arguments.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is that she accepts that it meets the description of a PBT but she is uneasy euthanising it considering it is a well natured, loving dog. I would not be able to do something like that, even if i had to walk away from the industry. It is murder, no arguments.

Save Lilla from a life behind bars and end Breed Specific Legislation (BSL)

Petition: www.change.org/petitions/prime-minister-of-australia-save-lilla-from-a-life-behind-bars-and-end-breed-specific-legislation-bsl

Facebook: www.facebook.com/savelilla

Please:

Sign the petition, Like the Facebook group, Share the horrid reality of the situation, to end these abhorrent laws.