Vaccination And Worming Queries For Gsd Pup!

Hi guys, I'm getting my GSD short-coat pup this Saturday. He will be just 3 days shy of 8 weeks old. I haven't had a puppy for a long, long time. So I just wanted to ask some questions regarding worming and vaccination.

As I understand my puppy must be vaccinated at between 10 and 12 weeks of age before he can go on walks and leave the home. How many vaccinations should a pup have before they reach full immunity, is it 3? The breeder has vaccinated him, but I don't know if I should take him to the vet as soon as I get home or when he turns 12 weeks old.

Secondly, if I remember correctly, my pup has to be wormed at 8,10,12 weeks of age, I have had some people tell me that I must worm him every month after that, whereas others say every 3 months after that, just how important is worming, I live in a suburban area. I know the main threats are heartworm, tapeworm, and hookworm and roundworm, this sounds like a lot of worming products to buy (but i will if i have to). I have heard there are some products that do heartworm, fleas and all the other worms in one hit, if so could you tell me the names of these worms, and would they need to be applied every month or three months? Also, are these all-wormers safe to use on puppies? Any comments/recommendations will be appreciated!

Hi NewGSDOwner

If you would like to email me at [email protected] I am happy to email you copies of the information I give to new puppy buyers.

Otherwise I recommend you contact your breeder, your breeder if they are affiliated with the GSDL is required to give you a booklet that gives you a lot of the basic information on raising your puppy.

Please also seeGSDL Code of Ethics

GSDL Information Sheet

You will find both these publications helpful. Did your breeder give you a list of things to purchase to make bringing your puppy home easier?

I would like to wish you all the very best with your new puppy in the future. And look forward to meeting you at a show or obedience trial.

A vet visit as soon as possible after collecting a pup is what I recommend to people :) That way , a check can be done - vet will see pup in a good and healthy state first - with no ouchie needles or anything ..and if you ask for a thorough check including teeth/bite, testicles, dewclaws etc .. then anything out of the ordinary can be noted and you can ask your breeder.

The breeder 'should' give you all sorts of information pertaining to feeding, vaccinations, general health care , and more specific things. :) They may also give you some of the food they use to help settle pup in