Rant For The Day

Agility Dogs

This morning I had one dog working with me, the other two tied out under a BBQ area in the local park. Man with dog off lead calls dog 5 times and dog decides to wander over to where my two were tied out.

'Is he OK with them?' the guy calls out. I say, 'He'll be fine with that one, but the other one can look like he wants to play and then change his mind - best to keep them apart.'

So.......little dog says hello to my girl and then proceeds to pee on the pole that my boy is tethered to and then pig roots all over the ground in front of him. CK growls and chases the little dog away. Owner looks across to me and says in a derisive kind of way - ahhh....there you go - as if to say he knew the dog was aggressive.

WTF - I told him it was a bad idea, then he let the little old man pee in a BBQ area.

The upside is that I didn't abuse him. I just went over to my boy who had calmed down and gave him a pat.

I'm much happier than I would have been in the past and haven't ruined anyones day.

:)

What is DOL for if not to rant!

I feel your pain. Luckily for me having a dobe normally puts people off approaching and smaller dog owners normally give us a wide berth. When they don't, Sniper makes a big scene and we get the same reaction that you did, I had someone run past with an off lead dog last week, the dog put its head down and hackles up and came bolting towards us, nearly gave me a heart attack and the runner gave me a dirty look because I yelled at the dog!

Guest lavendergirl

I was at a pet supply store at the weekend and a guy was at the counter with a kelpie that kept barking and lunging at people and other dogs who came into the store. Guy was totally oblivious and the staff said nothing. Why do they have to bring the dog into a shop when it is obviously untrained?? :mad

Perhaps you could have followed him to his car, waited till he got in and pee'd in his tank then said 'Ahh.... there ya go' when it wouldn't start. Such a shame that dogs like his frequently get into trouble with 'other peoples dogs', I mean clearly it is not his responsibility to ensure his dog is under control and not being obnoxious to others!!

Perhaps you could have followed him to his car, waited till he got in and pee'd in his tank then said 'Ahh.... there ya go' when it wouldn't start. Such a shame that dogs like his frequently get into trouble with 'other peoples dogs', I mean clearly it is not his responsibility to ensure his dog is under control and not being obnoxious to others!!

Now I know what happend to Mrs BA's car last night! LOL.

Would have been a good idea though.

The confusing thing is that not 2 minutes earlier he was getting cranky with another owner for letting their dog run up to his.

Bizarre.

Totally understand. When an off leash dog approaches my 2 on lead, my boy usually is good but on the odd occasion he has snapped at the loose dog if it rushes up to close to me. So I warn people just in case.

So many times they say "oh but my dog just wants to say hi" or something similar, then if Sonny has a snap they glare at me & I'm the worst in the world. :confused: I used to rouse on Sonny but now I reckon

if the owner of the loose dog can't releash their dog & take them away, it is their own stupid fault. But it drives my so MAD cause I am doing the right thing & poor Sonny gets upset for nothing. Which inturn upsets

Stella as well. :mad

Now I know what happend to Mrs BA's car last night! LOL.

Good thing there was an entire jerrycan of fuel in the shed for just such a problem!! I dont know what she was whinging about I made it home the little light was not on yet and the gauge was on e for enough!!

Edited by Bull Arab

What is DOL for if not to rant!

I feel your pain. Luckily for me having a dobe normally puts people off approaching and smaller dog owners normally give us a wide berth. When they don't, Sniper makes a big scene and we get the same reaction that you did, I had someone run past with an off lead dog last week, the dog put its head down and hackles up and came bolting towards us, nearly gave me a heart attack and the runner gave me a dirty look because I yelled at the dog!

I know what you mean about the dobe part. My dog is not DA, but when people see us coming, it's not unusual for them to pick small dogs up and freeze.

But once I had a guy in Sydney eastern suburbs with 3 pomeranians off-lead. They were actually biting my dog (his legs etc) so I started telling them off and shooing them away. The guy turns around - miles in the distance by this stage, and tells me not to worry, just let the dogs sort it out...

Seems unfortunately I mostly meet people of one extreme or the other.

Guest donatella

Anyone who let's their Pom off lead around a bigger dog without knowing it's nature is a complete moron. I know a tenterfield terrier who had it's leg ripped off whilst being walked as a puppy from an off leash dog. Wouldn't let any dog near mine without knowing the other dog first, mega paranoia about things like this happening.

nothing happened. What are you complaining about? Oh dont councils have rules about dogs and food areas like BBQs and playgrounds?

LOL. I guess I'm just complaining about a general lack of common sense in some people.

Our council has rules about designated play ground areas within parks, but I've never had an issue or found anything with a BBQ area - have always had the dogs tethered there without a problem. (Both early in the morning and during 'peak times'.)

CAUTION HIGH NERD CONTENT

I just had a good look and find it very interesting that NONE of the Brisbane Local Laws or Acts / Regs specify ANY area as an approved off leash area!! Despite including the following in the Animals Local Law

http://services.dlgp.qld.gov.au/locallaws/data/postamalgamation/CCBRIS/00_Animals%202003%20LL_res16-06-09.pdf

"off leash area" means any area of the City of Brisbane designated by Council

as an off leash area. - However i have been unable to find any legal document that designates any at all -

Definition of effective control (dogs)

4. A dog is under effective control only if—

(a) in an off leash area the keeper of the dog is able to control and direct the

dog to ensure that the dog does not —

(i) attack a person, animal or thing; or

(ii) damage property; or

(iii) enter any land without the consent of the owner or occupier of the

land; or

(b) in any area other than an off leash area, (other than the premises in

which the dog is ordinarily kept)—

(i) the dog is held on a leash or chain strong enough to restrain the

dog, and extended to not more than two metres long, by a person

who is—

(A) capable of controlling the dog; and

(B) holding no more than one dog unless the person is

capable of controlling all the dogs held at the same time; or

Example—

To be capable of controlling a dog a person must be—

(a) strong enough to restrain the dog; and

(b) old enough to understand the responsibility of keeping the dog

under control.

(ii) the dog is confined or tethered in or on premises or a vehicle so

as to be—

(A) unable to leave the premises or vehicle; or

(B) unable to attack a person or animal from the premises or

vehicle; or

© the dog is participating in an obedience trial, or training for an obedience

trial under the supervision of an organisation recognised by the Council

for the purposes of this section; or

(d) the dog is being exhibited at an exhibition under the supervision of an

organisation recognised by Council for the purposes of this section.

(e) the dog is a racing dog participating in a racing meet or trial recognised

by Council for the purposes of this section.

The provision on parks

http://services.dlgp.qld.gov.au/locallaws/data/preamalgamation/BRIS/09_Parks%20LL_res20-4-99.pdf

States the following

7. No person shall drive or bring, or cause to be driven or brought, into a park any animal other

than a dog held on a leash.

20. No person shall cause or suffer any dog belonging to him, or in his charge, to enter or remain

in a park, unless such dog be, and continue to be, under proper control, and be effectually restrained from causing annoyance to any person, and from worrying or disturbing any beast, and from entering any ornamental water, and from injuring or destroying, worrying or disturbing any fowl in such park.

So one must wonder if you can actually have a dog off leash in Brisbane (excluding private and state owned land) unless you are competing!!

Edited by Bull Arab