Tick Collars

AshleyB

Hi,

I am just wondering what everyone thinks about tick collars. Obviously nothing is 100% effective when it comes to ticks, but I feel that with a tick collar and a spot on, along with daily searching, I am helping to protect my guys from paralysis ticks.

What are your experiences with the two brands of tick collars? Preventic and Kiltix? Would love to know what you recommend and why...

Thanks Ashley

After loosing my westie in sept to a tick (and my cairn also had one the same week) I use preventic, vet recommended. After speaking with my cairn breeder he uses kiltix. As you said, nothing is 100% effective, but a combo of collar, checks and top spot definately helps!

Guest lavendergirl

After loosing my westie in sept to a tick (and my cairn also had one the same week) I use preventic, vet recommended. After speaking with my cairn breeder he uses kiltix. As you said, nothing is 100% effective, but a combo of collar, checks and top spot definately helps!

So sorry to hear that you lost your little Westie to a tick - was this in Brisbane? I just wonder which areas are particularly bad for them in Brissie.

Yup in Brisbane north side, . Been here forever and never had a tick till then, cairn got hers first rushed her to vet she was fine after a day, she was what I thought worse than Harvey, (loss of movement in back legs) my boy, was rushed to emergency vet late on a Friday night and we lost him Sunday the 18th.. He never loss movement, but his gag reflex went and his lungs were 90% covered in fluid..Both vets said they are quite toxic this year and they just don't know enough about them... Some dogs get effected differently and recover differently.

I us Preventic along with Advantix my vet said it was the only collar that could be used with spot on product as the other one is also a flea treatment and can react with the spot on.

Thanks everyone. I understand that nothing is 100% effective, even though I wish they were! I have decided to stick with preventic and spot on for the time being.

Just read this thread and thought I should let you know that it is Preventic that should NOT BE USED WITH OTHER TREATMENTS and Kiltix is fine to use with all other treatments.

Kiltix has a unique active ingredient that is safe for concurrent use ie with spot ons.

Preventic active is Amitraz and it has issue with conflicting with some topical treatments.

The major differences between Kiltix and Preventic are as follows:

Kiltix active ingredient is Flumethrin. It kills and REPELS fleas and ALL TICKS including paralysis ticks.

It kills and repels for up to 5 MONTHS for fleas and ticks and aids in control of paralysis ticks for 6 weeks.

Kiltix has a PROVEN and registered 92 % efficacy. (efficiency) right throughout the full 6 weeks for paralysis ticks and 5 months for all other ticks and fleas.

The mode of distribution is via natural movement of the dog ie. eating, drinking huffing and puffing and movements. It takes 24 hours to distribute throughout 100% of the dog, It is a NON SMELLING slow release powder base impregnated collar, Fully adjustable for all sizes including very small dogs and very large dogs,

It is suited for puppies from 3 months of age It is safe on Pregnant and lactating bitches .

May be safely combined with other parasite products.

Very wide safety margins.

Is water resistant (it is recommended that collar be removed for swimming and replaced when dog is dry REMEMBER IT THEN TAKES 24 hours to redistribute throughout entire dog.

Preventic:

Active ingredient Amitraz.

Does not repel. Kills only. Does nothing for fleas. only ticks.

Has only a 62% efficacy rate (efficiency) and tests prove efficacy drops at end of life span dramatically and collar takes 48 hours to distribute . Cannot be used on Pregnant or lactating bitches or puppies under 4 months of age. Cannot be used in conjunction with other parasite products. (Active ingredients conflicts).

Has a distinct odour. Same water resistant details.

NEITHER COLLAR IS SUITABLE FOR CATS.

It is recommended that daily searching for ticks be conducted.

Kiltix used with Advantix gives proven better kill and repellency for paralysis ticks than any other available products.

THERE IS NO PARALYSIS tick prevention that offers 100% cover.

Repellency is by far more important along with the kill effect and for that reason Advantix and Kiltix offers higher protection for your dog when it comes to Paralysis ticks.

Hope this helps,

Note also that products like Permoxin do not offer residual effects (ie dont cover after use) just kills attached ticks.

How safe is it to swap brands of collars? Eg when the 8 weeks for the Preventic is up, putting Kiltix on the dogs instead? Should be safe according to this from Nowstarin "Has only a 62% efficacy rate (efficiency) and tests prove efficacy drops at end of life span dramatically and collar takes 48 hours to distribute" I guess.

How safe is it to swap brands of collars? Eg when the 8 weeks for the Preventic is up, putting Kiltix on the dogs instead? Should be safe according to this from Nowstarin "Has only a 62% efficacy rate (efficiency) and tests prove efficacy drops at end of life span dramatically and collar takes 48 hours to distribute" I guess.

No problems changing over at Any time. Even before the collars lifespan has ended. They can be swapped over on the same day if required for continual coverage.

Cheers.