Breeders Responsibilty/obligations For A Visiting Bitch

casowner

I can not start a topic in the BC area and as I am very interested in this topic I thought I would put it here. A DOLer placed a lost/found advert for a bitch that went missing whilst under his care and that has raised some questions for me, the DOLer in question suggested I start a topic so I am not having a go at them as I said I am genuinely curious.

As the owner of a stud dog that accepts the responsibilty of taking in an outside unknown bitch what steps do you ensure the safety of that bitch? In the mentioned case a bitch in heat was loose for 3 days, as the stud owner would you be responsible for any vet fees or associated costs if the bitch got pregnant by another dog whilst missing? I am not meaning this topic to be aimed at the other thread as there are obviously other factors involved but as someone who is interested in potentially getting a mains registered bitch in the future this situation scared the living bejeebus out of me.

So my questions are basically what do you do to ensure the safety of outside bitches, do you have contracts in place BEFORE the bitch arrives, do you check the owner and dogs credentials before they come onto your property? I know these are loaded questions and I apologise but as I said these are important questions for any new breeder or person wishing to outsource a stud dog to know.

Thank you

Edited by millbrooksprings

I have an outside bitch with me currently. She has been with me six weeks and her owner is collecting her in the morning. Admittedly I did breed her and she knows me well but that doesnt change the way I treat her. She is kennelled in a run with roodf and concrete floor. This kennel also has a 2" barrier across the door (toy breed so this is high enough). All my kennels are then double gated, with lockable door to outside, and the property itself is gated. Its nearly impossible to get out. When the bitches are in season I have a very large roofed pen for free exercise and they do not go anywhere unless on lead and are supervised at all times.

It might be a bit overkill but it keeps my dogs safe. My neighbours have entire dogs that run free 24hrs a day and I dont want to risk them getting anywhere near my dogs. I also board dogs I bred so I want to know they are safe.

If you cant be with your bitch, make sure you inspect the stud's premise beforehand if at all possible, If your not comfortable dont leave your girl, or make sure you can be there with her at all times.

You do not take responsibility for someone else's bitch unless you can guarantee to keep her safe. She should be in a secure roofed run with a concrete floor or crated in the house, unless under direct supervision. If she somehow did get out than the stud dog owner would be liable for whatever happened to her.

I remember one bitch, before the days of mobile phones, that was dropped off by her owner who lived 300km away. As the owner left the stud dog owners property the bitch tried to jump the gate so was taken into the house, where she proceeded to try to jump through the windows. This was a very high profile show bitch and the stud dog owner was already worried sick about keeping her safe anyway. She resorted to waiting for the owner to get home and calling the owner her to come back the following day. She then slept the night with the bitch in a crate beside her bed and tied a lead to her wrist through the bars of the crate to ensure the bitch was definitley still going to be there when the owner returned. you do whatever it takes to keep them safe.

Edited by dancinbcs