Stem Cell Treatment For Joint Arthritis.

pebbles

I had my dog done with stem cells recently and the results so far are above expectations.

I had the procedure where the vet took fat & blood from my own dog. Its worth looking at.

What is the reason you want to use the donor instead?

Thanks for the reply, abgail. I've only just really started investigating this and from what I've read the patient cells require taking the dog to an approved Vet. where as donor cells can be sent to my own Vet.for implanting. From the Vets. advertised on line to do this, they are mainly in Melbourne and that's a 1000k round trip for me. My Vet is also doing some research into this and while I'd rather not have to travel, if it turns out that this is the best way then I'll go that way.

Would you mind if I PMd you to ask for a few more details?

Hi Pebbles.

The donor cells are from Monash University. Here is the website http://www.australianstemcells.com.au/

The donor cells you could consider the more advanced version of stem cells. Since the regenerative properties of mesenchymal stem cells has been discovered, advancements in the utilization of them have continued.

Many vets complained of seromas from the fat harvest wound, and a 4 inch scar is not pleasant on a short coated dog. The other positive from cultured cells is the recipient dog is receiving young stem cells. An old dog has old stem cells.

Any vet can order the cells, order details are on the above website. To administer the vet either gives the cells via an IV drip or directly into the joint. The cultured cells work out cheaper too, as 2 seperate surgeries is not required.

The fat harvest method can produce varying results, as no one quantifies the percentage of stem cells in the stromal vascular fraction (what is injected back into the dog) whereas the cultured cells are pure, mesenchymal stem cells.

Many dogs have had wonderful results with the fat harvest method, I was involved with many of them, however science has now taken it to the next level.

Please feel free to ask any specific questions.

Thanks for the reply, abgail. I've only just really started investigating this and from what I've read the patient cells require taking the dog to an approved Vet. where as donor cells can be sent to my own Vet.for implanting. From the Vets. advertised on line to do this, they are mainly in Melbourne and that's a 1000k round trip for me. My Vet is also doing some research into this and while I'd rather not have to travel, if it turns out that this is the best way then I'll go that way.

Would you mind if I PMd you to ask for a few more details?

Thats fine. You can PMd me.

The donor cells you could consider the more advanced version of stem cells. Since the regenerative properties of mesenchymal stem cells has been discovered, advancements in the utilization of them have continued.

Are there any negative side effect to the donor cell method, such as rejection of the cells or the possibility of the donor cells carrying some sort of disease that could be passed on.

Hi BigDaz,

No, the Mesenchymal stem cells are immunoprivileged, they do not trigger an immune response. Hence no rejection.

There is also no chance of disease transmission, as the cells are isolated and grown in culture. They really are blank cells. The ultimate stem cell is an embryonic stem cell because it is pluripotent - they can become any cell in the body. The mesenchymal stem cells are fat derived adult stem cells, and they are multipotent - they can become tissues which generally need repair in an adult body. For example bone, skin, fat, cartilage.

The fat harvest method cannot be between two animals, as there are a host of other cells included.

Monash University can grow your own dogs cells in culture. Your vet harvests some fat, sends to the Uni and the cells are isolated and expanded. You can then use some, and store the rest at the Uni for future use. Much more expensive considering how easy the donor method is.

Abgail, how is your dog now? Still some fantastic results with the harvest method.

Thanks, Inevitablue, very informative, rejection was one thing I was wondering about. Bit more info - Mick, 6yo Min Pin. At about 6 months started turning a foot out. Chiro.next, who picked up the problem was the elbow. Xray showed the small bone on the top of the ulna/radius (? always forget which is which) was missing, no bone fragments, smooth rounded edge so Vet assumes he was born like it or injured in the nest. On Joint Guard since then and started Cartrophen injections about 12 months ago when he was showing increased pain after excercise (being a Min. he's always flat out!). Read about the stem cell treatment, spoke to my Vet and he's also going to investigate further. It sounds as if the donor cells are the way to go and my Vet can do this without the trauma of the collection operation.

Thanks, Abgail, I think Inevitablue has given me most of the Info I was looking for without me bumbling through a heap of questions lol.

How is your dog going, need to hear all the good news available lol.

Thanks, Inevitablue, very informative, rejection was one thing I was wondering about. Bit more info - Mick, 6yo Min Pin. At about 6 months started turning a foot out. Chiro.next, who picked up the problem was the elbow. Xray showed the small bone on the top of the ulna/radius (? always forget which is which) was missing, no bone fragments, smooth rounded edge so Vet assumes he was born like it or injured in the nest. On Joint Guard since then and started Cartrophen injections about 12 months ago when he was showing increased pain after excercise (being a Min. he's always flat out!). Read about the stem cell treatment, spoke to my Vet and he's also going to investigate further. It sounds as if the donor cells are the way to go and my Vet can do this without the trauma of the collection operation.

Thanks, Abgail, I think Inevitablue has given me most of the Info I was looking for without me bumbling through a heap of questions lol.

How is your dog going, need to hear all the good news available lol.

Hi pebbles. My boy is going super. Best thing i've done. Thanks for asking. The fat harvest was only a small incision, so that is nothing to worry about when you see the results. If you want to know anymore, this is the phone number of the company i used 1300 633 483. They were so helpful and pointed me in the right direction.