Chest Infections In New Borns

MellG

Hi All

I am involved in a breed that seems to have a high infant mortality rate due to chest infections. So I would like to ask the DOL breeders Brains trust regarding their experience with new born pups and chest infections, prevention methods etc..

Very interested to see If I can learn something new, and possibly reduce the heart ache...

Cheers

Mell

I would assume so, generally when talking to breeders they simply state CHest infection as the cause.

Its also a Bracci Breed so not sure if this leads to a higher instance of Aspiration. Seems to make no difference if pups are bottle fed or feeding off the bitch.

Aspirated pneumonia and Chest infection are two different things I have been told.

I would assume it would make a difference being a Bracci Breed, higher risk I would imagine.

Have they tried tube feeding to avoid this, or suctioning after feeding?

If I get a rattly pup I suction after feeding and takes the tick tock (sorry can't describe it any other way) sound away.

Thanks Sway, It hard when the breed community tend to refer to all chest related infections in pups as chest infections. I am trying to do as much research as I can on prevention.

No one I know tube feeds as a preventative. Several put their new borns straight onto injectable antibiotices for the first few weeks.

When you suction after feeding what are you using?

I have also tried reverse feeding (no milk), Hanging the puppy upside down for a little bit then, putting the feeding tube down and withdrawing on the syringe hoping to catch some floating mucus or milk.

It could also be a immune system problem making some puppies more prone to infection. TNS in Border Collies happens when the bone marrow makes white cells but is unable to release them into the blood stream. Affected puppies develop a variety of infections at different ages depending on what bacteria they encounter. Diagnosis is therefore very difficult but the condition is always fatal eventually. We now have a DNA test and found about 20% of the breed worldwide actually carry the gene so it was quite a common problem and many puppy deaths in the past can now be attributed to TNS. The DNA test was developed in only 12 months because these sorts of inherited immune system faults are very common in many species so it makes sense that other breeds would also have them but you will never know if you don't specifially look for them.

With a Brachy breed you would expect that the most likely infection they would be prone to is of the respiratory system. You need someone to gather all the pedigrees to see if there are some obvious links and try to get everyone that loses puppies to have autopsies done so you know what you are dealing with. Make sure they check the blood and bone marrow as well as looking for infections.

Edited by dancinbcs

No tracheal or palate problems that I have been told, just a high incedence of chest infections. But again this is relying talk from various breeders, as far as I am aware autopsies are rarely performed to account for the true cause of death.