Toilet Trained Pup Urinating Inside When Left Alone

lushos

Oh gosh lushos and talien, I don't know if this will make you feel better, but just to reassure you that whatever you are doing you're not "breaking" your puppy, Saxon wasn't reliably taking himself out the doggy door until he was at least 6 months old, at 2.5 he will now hold on for 8+ hours with no problem at home and has not ever gone inside someone else's house. Riley is just about now fully reliable at 8 months, so now I've just brought home a new baby!

Now, there is no reason other than MY laziness (I chose to sacrifice my flooring and cleaning up time) for toilet training to take sooo long. I'm just telling you about it to show that you can be hopeless for months and your pup can still very effectively learn where it should toilet!!

I'd say that as you follow the routine of once per hour or whatever you really will start to spot when your pup needs

to go, and they'll gain enough control to get outside when you call them, and eventually it WILL click for them.

Agreed, and he's doing pretty well for a 13 week old! He has sit, lay down, up (sit from a lay down position), as well as two finger target touch!

I'm working on "stay" at the moment, as well as retrieve. He gets the whole "go get it" but not the "bring it back" part hehehe. I think toileting will come with time, he's only had one accident inside this weekend, but we also have a trained full female in the house so I think he's picking up a few things from her :)