Food Allergies

neinbob

My 2 year old goldie has always always had soft poos and other gastro problems for which the standard vet treatment was "feed hime rice and chicken for a few days".

He was recently tested for food allergies and found to allergic to chicken, duck, turkey, pork, rice, corn, peas, potatoes and kelp. We could not find a commercial dog food that did not contain at least one of these ingredients so we had to make up his meals which was OK but obviously was not a completely balanced meal.

Then we found CALIFORNIA NATURAL kibble which is based on Herring & Sweet Potato and contains NONE of his allergy ingredients - felt like we had won the lottery!!

Poos are now solid and he has soooo much energy its unbelievable - he really is a different dog now.

Testing for food allergies is done the same way as for other allergies: the skin prick test.

It is for food intolerances that things get trickier and an elimination diet is required.

Edited to add: glad you found a solution, neinbob!

Edited by Papillon Kisses

Yup had a chat at my dogs derm appointment and the blood test or skin prick test for food wouldn't be an option for us. As a human i've had little success with blood tests for my food allergies, they is how I'm not allergic to seafood yet I react every time I eat it. I would still do an elimination diet along with the bloods and skin prick tests. Just my 2c worth after having a very allergic dog for 3 years