The Right Clothes

blitz3

I wore pants and a jacket for years and I don't think it ever went against me or my dog. Always wore white pants, top and runners then a colourful jacket over the top. I wore the long sleeved jacket regardless of the weather.

That is a really smart look. Somehow my white pants always ended up with dirty splotches all over before I ever got to the ring so I gave up on white :)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wear mainly black pants and jackets for work every day so love the opportuntity to wear colour, skirts, hair and makeup at shows. It really is personal - some outfits say "pick me" whilst others are cleverly hiding faults such as dark pants against a dark topline....most important is that YOU are comfortable and can do what you need to do in the show ring - such as getting up from kneeling...and what suits youd dog and it's colouring. Don't think you have to cpmete or compare to others in the ring.

I've seen long flapping skirts wrapping around medium sized dogs on the move, not a good idea ! The advent of USA show suits at reasonable prices has been a bonus but there are many now who look the same, or a particular colour seems to be the 'flavour of the month'. From photos from one Royal show a few years ago we played a game of "spot the USA show suit"

There's nothing to say you can't wear jeans and shirt - as long as clean, pressed, no holes etc, tracky dacks and holey singlets are probably a big no no. Same with shoes - comfortable and fit for purpose - I have also been known to wear gumboots, rain pants, rain coat and rain hat in the ring - all colour co-ordinated of course!

SO - create your own style,comfort and what you can afford and most importantly what you can clean/ wash/ dry clean.

Due to the colour of the dogs I have now I wear black pants suit with a nice cornflower blue dress top, black socks and plain black shoes. I do wear the jacket unless I am very hot. I do not wear skirts and most certainly would not put one on to show my dog, I would feel very uncomfortable.

I have bling leads for the dogs but not in exceptionally bright colours.

I would also like a nice blue suit and a nice red one.

I do not show very often but always try to dress and present myself to the best of my ability. My hair is long and tied back, and also hairsprayed as I get frizzy bits if not. I use an SPF 30 tinted sunscreen, mascara and lip gloss.

I don't wear sunnies or a hat in the ring or while doing dog sports but I do put them on in between.

I wore pants and a jacket for years and I don't think it ever went against me or my dog. Always wore white pants, top and runners then a colourful jacket over the top. I wore the long sleeved jacket regardless of the weather.

That is a really smart look. Somehow my white pants always ended up with dirty splotches all over before I ever got to the ring so I gave up on white :)

Thanks, to save the white pants, I wear trackies over the top till I am ready to change my shoes and put on my jacket. I would have been covered in black hair if I didn't and would not be clean at all. Trackies go back on when I leave the ring. I get my white pants from Millers, $20 a pop is very good value. Most of my jackets come from the OP Shop, though I did have a couple made in Chinatown.

• 2 months later...

I show two ACD's and have been wearing dress moleskins, polished RM Williams boots, polished brass belt buckle, long sleeved shirt and an Akubra hat. I have had so many people stop me and say it looks great. I use the finest plaited leather lead with a brass snake chain. I don't strategically blend into the background but I think it looks harmonious with the cattle dogs. Only problem is I was wearing a pink shirt with my female and now I have a male as well so maybe wearing pink isn't an option anymore.

I'm trying to decide if I keep that look but add a navy jacket for Sydney Royal, or go for a skirt suit. Next problem is I am handling both a blue cattle dog and a red one so what colour......

As for sunglasses I have worn them on glarey days, but just small metal Ray Bans.

What about hair? Many women don't tie their long hair back and I think that's a distraction. Mine is half way down my back and looks great with soft curls, but to me it would be a hindrance, unless of course you never bent over!

I love the sound of your outfit. :o