Advice Needed- Introducing Pup To My Other Dog.

I'm sure this has been discussed before so feel free to just point me in the right direction as to an existing thread.

I saw a few ones out there but they have some specifics that don't really apply to my situation.

Rumor is a 4 y/o German Short-haired Pointer. He's totally friendly and doesn't seem to ooze any sort of dominant behaviour.. but he does get quite excited when playing with other dogs. Just a lot of drooling and bouncing around.

The pup I am introducing is an 8 week old female Mini Bull Terrier.

How/where should their first meeting happen? And how should I handle the rest of their "firsts"? As she is coming interstate they won't get a chance to test to the waters before she actually comes home forever.

I'm really determined and hoping I can have them be the best of friends, so am really grateful for any advice. I want to do the right thing by them both.

Oh and the pup is only 2 weeks old... getting a bit ahead of myself :laugh: just want to be prepared.

I've read it can be helpful to rub a towel over your current dog and send this to the breeder so you pup can become familiar with his smell.

In the same way, the breeder can send you a towel which has spent time with the puppy. Then when they meet they'll hopefully not smell so strange to each other.

I can't give advice on the actual meet though. Good luck with your new puppy, I hope it all goes well for you :D

I've read it can be helpful to rub a towel over your current dog and send this to the breeder so you pup can become familiar with his smell.

In the same way, the breeder can send you a towel which has spent time with the puppy. Then when they meet they'll hopefully not smell so strange to each other.

I can't give advice on the actual meet though. Good luck with your new puppy, I hope it all goes well for you :D

Thanks! I'm very excited :thumbsup:

Good idea. I'll have a chat to my breeder about sending something over :)

A lot of people just bring their puppy home and have no problems at all. I did this with my second dog. I did have a couple of problems though as the older dog was young ( only 12 months) so she played really rough with the puppy. Also the older dog got very jelous of my attention. The other problem I made is I did not spend enough one on one time with the puppy whe we got it - so his attachment was to the other dog, not us.

Because of these problems when I got my next dog (number 2) I introduced the dogs in a neatrual place. Then when home I let them sniff each other through a baby gate. Then the next day I let them meet face to face but only one at a time (not the 2 adult dogs). My pup spent her days on her own inside initially. I did this until i was comfortable for her to be alone with the older dogs, but also I wanted the pup to be comfortable by herself and not have to be with the other dogs.

A lot of people introduce a puppy with no method and have no problems. IMO it really depends on your current dog to what lengths you need to go it. My main piece of advice is ensure you spend one on one time with both your dogs and get your pup comfortable being alone. The last thing you want is the pup crying and barking when you take your older dog out alone.