Ready?

Kajtek

I've found this treasure on Patricia Mcconnell's blog:

http://www.theotherendoftheleash.com/category/tulip

Quote:

A short post today, but I hope a helpful one. Its inspired by the mud luscious and puddle wonderful nature of spring, and the need to wipe off Wills paws as we enter the house when its wet outside. As I was drying Willies paws a few days ago, I thought about how much easier it is now that I say Ready? right before I pick up each leg. Since I started communicating my intention (now I am going to pick up this paw), he is beginning, on occasion, to pick up a paw himself, but more often he will shift his weight so that it is less awkward for him. (Yep, I could train him to pick up each paw on cue… also a potential solution, but keep reading for some potential benefits of a more generalized cue.)

Keep in mind that this is the dog who, as an adolescent, growled at me when I picked up a paw to dry off the mud. That was 3 years ago, and I remember saying something like Oh, dont be silly and continuing what I was doing. He growled one or two more times, but we worked through it and I havent heard him growl at anything in years. However, he doesnt enjoy his paws being cleaned, as most dogs dont, and the process got me thinking about how little control a dog has over having his/her body moved around, even gently, without any say in the matter. Thats especially difficult if there is any pain involved in putting more weight than usual on one limb. Ive always been aware of Wills bad shoulder, and have always been extra careful about picking up the other paw, but a few months ago I started saying Ready? right before I picked up a paw, giving him a chance to shift his weight himself.

Its made a difference to both of us. I lean down and put my hand close to a paw and say Ready? and he either shifts his weight or picks it up. Paw cleaning is not only faster, it feels like Will and I are moving down the same path, instead of trying to go in opposite directions. This is a cue that has so many applications; Wills structural troubles require acupuncture and chiropracty, and hes not the kind of hail-fellow-well-met who takes being handled lightly. I would bet the farm (and, hey, I have one) that handling Will with force and punishment would have created a severe aggression problem within a few months. In both cases, we give Will lots of options, using patience and communication during the treatments. He adores both practitioners, but he literally hides behind me when the greetings are over and its time for treatments. But we work through it, sort of like a dance; sometimes asking, sometimes quietly insisting, but always with an awareness that Will desperately needs to have some say in what is happening to him.

I know many others use cues like Ready for a variety of reasons. Ive heard similar cues most often in obedience, meaning Okay, time to start working together. But Ill bet there are many examples from your own experience of using a cue to communicate your intentions to a dog. Id love to hear them. I think wed all learn something from hearing about all the ways that concept can be used. (By the way, signals like Ready are called meta-communication, meaning communication about communication. A play bow is an example in dogs, meaning Everything that happens next is in play, dont take these bites and growls seriously!

End Quote

Edited by HonBun

What a great post. Thanks for sharing it with us HonBun. I've read one of Patricia's books and thought it was awesome, but I hadn't read her blog. I'll check it out.

I've been drying my greyhounds' feet recently because it's been raining so much here in Brisbane. I've noticed that the older hound (13 years) shifts her weight in preparation. She has a sore foot, so I'll make sure that I add a verbal cue to let her know what I'm about to do, so that she can prepare.

How interesting! I've been doing this for a few years now with my own and my clients dogs (grooming) I found especially with clipping nails its so much easier to talk them through it and with very difficult dogs who hate their nails being clipped I will show them the clipper, allow them to smell it, then place the blades around the nail and say 'ready?' and only clip when I feel the relax or compliance. It really truly works!!!! I will say 'ready' for each nail and so many people are amazed that I can clip their dogs nails when even the vet has trouble or they are usually sedated. After a while the dogs self prepare and what was once a very big issue becomes nothing much :)

I haven't read Patricia's blog so thanks for putting it up here HonBun.

I had a very mentally challenged dog and I found vocal cues for every action I did meant she didn't freak as much. I have kept that weird language and use it with all the dogs. Things like "Ready for Up? Pop". The POP is the action word for me. I was told about this by a lady who works with horses and my lord it made my life and the dogs a lot less stressful.

How interesting bedazzledx2 and ams!

I have started using the "ready" que and it seems to have made my dogs calmer when they don't like the experience (eg I am applying eye-cream).

I would love to hear how others use meta communication with their dogs.

Edited by HonBun

Kayce Cover does something similar if I remember correctly. It's a while since I've read any of her stuff, but she feels communicating intentions assists the dog modify its behaviour. I'm on a super slow comp right now, so can't look for any links to help clarify my statement at the moment!