Keeping Dogs Cool In Trailer

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had tips for keeping dogs in a trailer cool

I have a weather station so we can keep an eye on the temp from the car and have been thinking I should put some ice blocks under the blankets for them, giving them water is tricky as it spills.

Hubby is designing a hose thingy so I can just put it through the wire doors when we stop for water

Any other ideas? Maybe im being over the top but its 31 tomorrow and the dogs have to be in the trailer for 6 hrs, if we dont stop, hopefully we will only stop for petrol and to give them a drink

Freeze icebricks and bottles of water. The ice will keep them cool and they can lick the condensation off to keep hydrated.

On really hot days I get bags of ice from the servo, rip open the top of the bags and put them in the trailer with the dogs. The dogs also wear cool coats. I can travel with my dogs when it's 40deg+ and they ate fine, only prob is they won't want to get out of the trailer at the other end lol.

The ice cools the temp in the trailer, they lick it as it melts and the cool coats keep them cool. It's so cool in there it takes hours for the ice to completely melt even when it's 40 deg. Dogs arrive unstressed and relaxed.

I think they key is not letting the trailer get heated inside in the first place, rather than letting it get really hot then trying to cool it down.

Edited by indigirl