Biting Problems

arjay

My 11 month Old rottweiler, sometimes still try to play bite, when excited, lots of energy. When he was growing up I use to shout ouch when he would play bite, and reward/praise when he did bite his toys. He sometimes run n jump at me and snap at my hand and If i do say ouch he gets alot more excited n keep doing it. The thing that worries me the most, is sometimes when i Sit down on a chair.. he come up and jump for my face and try to bite. Not sure if thats normal in puppies in this stage. Any tips or hints, He done basic obedience, and puppy school couple of months back, but hard to fit in cause of shift work. So I try to train him the basic each day, when I can. Any hints or tips.

Hi . This is a problem, and with such a large dog ,moreso...a chomp could be nasty :(

May I suggest that you change the way you two interact - that pup gets nothing unless he is calm, or sits, or whatever .. it is explained in THIS LINK.

I also suggest that you contact a recommended trainer who can give you professional advice to suit you and your dog, and who will help you regain control .

Continue to walk your dog once or twice a day..and do the obedience practice for 10-15 minutes , that will help ...

Otherswill be along to offer their suggestions ..I hope you can get some help.

http://www.dogschool.com.au/

get yourself at least one lesson, if he's too far get Craig to recommend someone close to you. Ouch means nothing to a rottweiler he needs firm leadership and to learn that snapping is an absolute no no. You cannot own a rottie and just get away with puppy preschool, he's becoming an adult now and needs to be treated like one.

Edited by Nekhbet

http://www.dogschool.com.au/

get yourself at least one lesson, if he's too far get Craig to recommend someone close to you. Ouch means nothing to a rottweiler he needs firm leadership and to learn that snapping is an absolute no no. You cannot own a rottie and just get away with puppy preschool, he's becoming an adult now and needs to be treated like one.

Do I personally want Craig to give me a lesson or any of them will do? You saying I should go to a private visit or a actual obedience class?

I am really keen on getting some professionally advice, Just these normal group obedience classes are hard attend as I do shift work.

i heard about Jane Harper, will she help in the situation I am in. dogsontrack.com.au

Definitely go for Jane too if she's more accessible. If you don't have time for group classes then you are better off with a good quality consultation from someone like Jane or Craig, then stick to the training and management plan they will make for you. Group classes really only work if you stick to them as you don't get as much time or one on one attention, and they're not really primarily designed for behavioral problems.

Definitely go for Jane too if she's more accessible. If you don't have time for group classes then you are better off with a good quality consultation from someone like Jane or Craig, then stick to the training and management plan they will make for you. Group classes really only work if you stick to them as you don't get as much time or one on one attention, and they're not really primarily designed for behavioral problems.

yeah will contact jane/craig this week. Looking forward to speak to them as I really want results and advice and a solid plan on how to deal with these issues.

The thing that got my dalmatian to stop with the excessive biting was to do a deep growl at him.

Whenever he bit while playing, I yelled "HEY!" and just stopped playing.

He was shocked as to what happened, but calmed down and licked.

The high pitched noises didn't work, it's why I use the growl. It made me more..."top of the pack" as it were, and he seems to understand that biting is not on at all.

That's just my personal experience anyway, has worked on my other dogs as well, so thought I'd pass on what's worked well with me.

Who knows! It could help someone else.

:D

Had Jane come over today, Lovely lady, Answered all her questions she needed. Also asked alot of questions what I wanted to know, had a better understanding. Hopefully this program she will provide will fix my problems. Met her lovely cattle dog, very obedient.