Weird Scabs On My White Boxer

FANG

I have a 2 year old white Boxer. He is allergic to most sunscreens and although I did eventually find one that his skin doesn't seem to react to, he always licks it off anyway, so I feel like there's no point putting it on him.

For the last month or so he's had these strange scabs on one side around his mouth area. I think they may have started after I fenced off some trees in the backyard, because I think he tried to get through the chicken wire and I'm guessing that's why he ended up with scratches on his face and head.

Anyway, I am pretty worried about these ones on his face, because they have been there for some time now and I would have thought they'd be healed up by now. I have been putting petrolium jelly on them at night and telling him not to lick it off (for some reason, he seems to listen to me a lot more when it's petrolium jelly than when it's sunscreeen). This seems to be helping a little bit, but I still think they're taking a long time to heal.

I am sorry this photo is really poor, as my camera is only 5 megapixels. I know I should just go to the vet, but I am a uni student and I'm really stressed about money right now. I will definitely take him if it's serious, but I thought I would post on here to try and find out if it is first.

So can anyone who knows about this stuff tell me: does it look like cancer to you? If not, is it something else that's serious or can it wait til his check up in May? Are there any guides for what to look out for with regards to skin cancer? I know this is something I need to be on the look out for, so I am always feeling paranoid but kind of helpless about it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I also can't see a pic :(

Do you think it is possible it could be some sort of skin irritation? Like something he is near everyday hence why it is not healing up?

I have a (rescue) Balinese cat with a history of severe allergic dermatitis. Her favourite synthetic fur toy triggered 5 cent coin sized sores at the corners of her mouth. When I took away the toy, the sores healed up.