How Do You "untrain" Something?

Hi all :wave:

Just chasing some advice on how to "untrain" my furkids :rolleyes:

I have a 9month boy and 8month old girl, both staffords, and I have, up until now, taught them to not take treats out of my hand unless told. I have a 4 and 6 year old boys so I was hoping to get the furkids out of trying to take things off my human kids...lol!!

Anyhoo, I have done basic obedience with them up until now, but other than fetching a ball, I have not tried to teach them "tricks" as I wanted to make sure they had the basics of sit, drop, stay, come, heel, wait etc (manners) before "indulging" myself (and my boys) with trick traing them. Soooo, how do I untrain them from not trying to get a treat out of my hand? All I am trying to do at the moment is get a basic hand shake but they won't paw at my hand to try and retrieve the treat so I am at a loss as to how to get them to lift their paw off the ground in order to shake hands :shrug: My boy is especially hard as he won't even mouth my hand try to get the treat. My girl will mouth it but in the past week of trying she's lifted her paw once :noidea: The only thing I can think of is to try and get either my kids or husband to teach them as they don't do much "training" with them and when they do, if I'm near by the dogs still look at me for approval most of the time :rofl: however I would like to train them myself if possible :D Thanks

Maybe teach them to paw target something instead? Ie teach them to stand on something (a kitchen sponge is good - bright yellow, and easy to cut up, or a lid, or coloured paper). Once they're reliably standing on it, pick it up and hold it in your hand, and get them to paw touch it in your hand. you can then phase it out by cutting up smaller pieces, or just seeing if they'll target your hand once they're used to the action.

Have a handful of treats on the table behind you, or next to you or in the hand you will not be using to shake his paw. Sit on a chair and sit the dog in front of you. , Using the palm of your hand with your palm facing up . Elevate the dogs paw a short distance off the ground with his foot resting on your palm. (Most dogs associate nail clipping with feet being touched so do not grasp the foot at this stage )

Rest the paw on your palm for a couple of seconds Use your cue word, "SHAKE" and immediately treat him

Let go of the paw and repeat till he will offer paw to your palm on the cue word SHAKE

I just have them sit, gently pick up a paw , say 'shake' or whatever, and praise ..repeat repeat repeat ..then Isay the command word, touch the wrist behind paw.. and they will start to lift it .. lots of praise .. and so on :) (I don't use food, so can't help you there)