Patch Of Fur Missing

best4koda

Hi, our GSD has presented with a skin issue this week. A little bit under her eye the fur thinned out. Initially no redness.. More fur is missing and it it irritated now. Any suggestions on how to treat. We are in a small town and have limited vet options. Just don't want it to get out of control. Will go to vet if needed. Other thing to mention, we have moved from sydney to Karratha wa....very very hot here.

Yeah, I have a couple of creams I'm using at home to see if it is but in a couple of days if not improved will head to the vet as well....prices here are ridiculous is all so if I can fix her up at home would be preferrable. Fingers crossed.

Whatever 'cream' you are using will not have an effect in a couple of days .... treatment needs to be continued for some time . Unfortunately- applying medications can then sometimes muddle results of skin scrapings, etc ...

What medication are you applying now?

Symptoms seem to indicate demodectic mange mite. this is easily treated by using Advocate. A bespectacled appearance is typical. Applying cream using does more harm than good actually feeding the mite (burrowed deep in the hair follicles).

Apply topically monthly.

You will see an immediate response and hair growth should be apparent within approx 7 days.

Here's a pic. Yesterday I washed it with aloveen shampoo to help calm the skin down if it is eczema type thing. The cream we put on it is ilium neocort to try to calm it down. Until yesterday is was just bare. She seems to be scratching it now.

We use Sentinel on our dog. Can we use advocate at the same time. Advocate doesn't seem to cover tapeworm. So does this look like a mite problem that a product like advocate would resolve?

post-38898-0-51521500-1329118767_thumb.jpg

Edited by best4koda

Here's a pic. Yesterday I washed it with aloveen shampoo to help calm the skin down if it is eczema type thing. The cream we put on it is ilium neocort to try to calm it down. Until yesterday is was just bare. She seems to be scratching it now.

We use Sentinel on our dog. Can we use advocate at the same time. Advocate doesn't seem to cover tapeworm. So does this look like a mite problem that a product like advocate would resolve?

From what I can see in the pic it may be?

You can use advocate if you have used sentinel. but only continue to use the advocate, not both, from this point forward. Advocate does not do tapeworm, however you do not need to worm for tapeworm when you do not have fleas, as tapeworm comes from fleas. By using advocate you have no fleas, hence no requirement for tapeworming.