Vet Nurses>>>>

jossfarmer

Hi MIchelleva

You can do it faster if you are really committed but it would be a heavy workload.

Re being suited to it............a couple of things to think about.....

a) the pay is terrible!!!!

b) you tend to need to do shift work (depending where you are) (Which could be a problem with small children at home)

c) if you love animals, it can be tough when you can't spend the time with them you feel they need. Some surgeries are highly pressured and the cage cleaning, taking out for a comfort stop etc can be mechanical rather than compassionate due to lack of time. Could you handle that?

d) the surgery can actually be the easy part - subject to the vet you work with. Some are great and are organised and you really do very little in the worst of the operations (the gore bit anyway). Others are not so nice, bark orders and get you in the midst of it. The vet you work with can make all the difference.

e) I assume you are looking at companion animal vet nursing? If you are looking at rural vet nursing - that is another kettle of fish altogether and needs a super strong stomach, a thick skin and the ability to switch off emotionally when needed.

f) how would you handle owners who have for all intents and purposes neglected their animals? They come in weeks after they should have and often ask you to put the animal to sleep rather than pay what we might consider a minor sum to treat something. That is without a doubt the hardest part for me.

Best of luck. It is the most enjoyable study I have done in my life. I love it to bits (which is why I am now going on to the degree).

Just keep yourself emotionally healthy - it can be terribly terribly confronting and heart breaking.

Colliehound

Ok, thats doable. Thanks Kirsten.

Hi MIchelleva

You can do it faster if you are really committed but it would be a heavy workload.

Re being suited to it............a couple of things to think about.....

a) the pay is terrible!!!!

b) you tend to need to do shift work (depending where you are) (Which could be a problem with small children at home)

c) if you love animals, it can be tough when you can't spend the time with them you feel they need. Some surgeries are highly pressured and the cage cleaning, taking out for a comfort stop etc can be mechanical rather than compassionate due to lack of time. Could you handle that?

d) the surgery can actually be the easy part - subject to the vet you work with. Some are great and are organised and you really do very little in the worst of the operations (the gore bit anyway). Others are not so nice, bark orders and get you in the midst of it. The vet you work with can make all the difference.

e) I assume you are looking at companion animal vet nursing? If you are looking at rural vet nursing - that is another kettle of fish altogether and needs a super strong stomach, a thick skin and the ability to switch off emotionally when needed.

f) how would you handle owners who have for all intents and purposes neglected their animals? They come in weeks after they should have and often ask you to put the animal to sleep rather than pay what we might consider a minor sum to treat something. That is without a doubt the hardest part for me.

Best of luck. It is the most enjoyable study I have done in my life. I love it to bits (which is why I am now going on to the degree).

Just keep yourself emotionally healthy - it can be terribly terribly confronting and heart breaking.

Colliehound

Ok, thats doable. Thanks Kirsten.

I cant believe i came on dol to find this. I have been thinking about a change of career to vet nursing for quite some time and have been doing research. Colliehound - thank you. I would not be able to handle people coming in and asking us to put down their healthy animal. I think id be able to handle putting down a dog if they were in pain and there was nothing we could do, but pther than that. I just couldnt do it.

This makes ne sad because i do really want to get into something to do with animals as a career. Im a journalist at the moment and i do absolutely love it. But anything to do with animals will always win.

If you have a lot of your own animals it is worth doing anyway - as it comes in very handy. But definitely agree with Roguedog - if you can do work experience, well worth it. If not, sit in the reception area of your local surgery for a day. It is VERY eye opening. Like all professions - you really do encounter "all sorts".

If you have a lot of your own animals it is worth doing anyway - as it comes in very handy. But definitely agree with Roguedog - if you can do work experience, well worth it. If not, sit in the reception area of your local surgery for a day. It is VERY eye opening. Like all professions - you really do encounter "all sorts".

I can only imagine.