Hills Oral Care And Td

Lemonlime

We have a GSD who is 3 years old. We were thinking of trying Hills Oral Care or the veterinary diet Hills TD.

When she was younger, she had papillomas in her mouth and since then she is very upset about having her mouth touched so it is impossible for us to brush her teeth.

She will not eat bones of any description, we have tried chicken, roo, lamb, beef, turkey. All meaty bones, she just sits and looks at them.

We have tried the more gimmicky things like Greenies, bull chews, rawhide etc and she wont eat any of these either.

The only thing that she will eat is her dry food (which is Artemis or Holistic Select).

She has been for a dental checkup at the vet and although there is nothing serious at the moment, there is a tartar build up and her teeth dont look like 3 year old teeth.

I am willing to try the Hills dry food in an effort to maintain dental health and prevent serious dental work down the track. I understand that this wont do the job like a bone or brushing will but something that will improve her teeth and gum health a bit is worth a try in my mind.

I am wanting to hear from others who have used either of these foods (or any of the other oral care foods) and your experiences. My friend is a vet nurse and uses it for her own little dogs and swears by TD but her dog's teeth were quite healthy to begin with.

I can get Hills Oral Care at a very good price, but would have to pay full price for TD, I dont know if there is a huge difference between these that would justify me paying double the price for a bag of TD or not?

If she's not willing to crunch things t/d might not work either, they're massive kibbles. Some vets sell little packs of t/d they bag up themselves see if you can grab that to try, or just use it like that. A raw diet might aid in reducing staining as well.

If she's not willing to crunch things t/d might not work either, they're massive kibbles. Some vets sell little packs of t/d they bag up themselves see if you can grab that to try, or just use it like that. A raw diet might aid in reducing staining as well.

Thanks for the reply. She used to eat Advance giant breed and that was massive too, but a flater kibble so not a lot of chewing done. She loves dry food of any description.

If you wish to try one of these just hold onto your receipt and keep the food in the bag/don't dispose of the bag. These type of foods come with a money back guarentee so just return it to your place of purchase after trialling for about 7 days for a full refund/exchange.

I feed td to my sisters dog who won't eat bones or let me touch his teeth. It has saved her from doing a dental for about 2 years I'd say at the rate the tarter was building which dramatically slowed down. The recommendation is to do a dental then feed the td or oral care. I've since switched to oral care as no longer get td cheap and haven't noticed a difference.

The only thing that she will eat is her dry food (which is Artemis or Holistic Select).

I am willing to try the Hills dry food in an effort to maintain dental health and prevent serious dental work down the track. I understand that this wont do the job like a bone or brushing will but something that will improve her teeth and gum health a bit is worth a try in my mind.

Personally I'd prefer to keep her on the Super Premium Foods she likes rather than feed Hills! Think outside the square, does she like toys? If she will chew a hard rubber toy like a Kong that can help to keep her teeth clean too.

Personally I'd prefer to keep her on the Super Premium Foods she likes rather than feed Hills! Think outside the square, does she like toys? If she will chew a hard rubber toy like a Kong that can help to keep her teeth clean too.

No she doesn't like toys, totally disinterested. Might just have to visit the vet for regular clean and scale I think.